How can I get more detailed information to help me get settled in Monterey?

Please visit the Student Services Website at: for information about local hotels and temporary accommodations, tips for lease agreement negotiation, contact information for local utility companies and other housing resources, such as web links to local property management companies and on-line housing databases.

Do I need a car for my housing search?

Many students do not have cars, so if you are hoping to find housing within walking distance of campus, you certainly could conduct your search without a car.  However, a rental car would certainly make the process a bit easier and quicker.  So, if your budget allows for renting a car for a few days, it is a good option.  We do have students that opt to live further away and those areas require willingness to walk a longer distance, ride a bike (a recreation/bike trail stretches for miles along the waterfront), take public transportation, or have a car.

So how much will I really be spending on housing for the summer?

Most of our summer students are able to find sublets or reasonably priced rooms for rent, while a few people elect to stay in a hotel for the duration of the program. On average a SILP student should expect to pay $900 to $1,000 per month on housing. Don’t forget to include the cost of food in your travel expenses. Students should expect to pay on average $100.00 a week for groceries not including extras like eating out. For more details about your summer budget, please visit the Tuition and Fees page.

What is the average cost of housing on the Monterey Peninsula?

Housing costs vary considerably.  The housing prices do not include telephone or cable television expenses, and may or may not include utilities. Most monthly rental fees do include garbage, sewer and water; some include gas and electricity as well.




$500-800 per person

What type of housing is available?

Housing accommodations include rooms in private homes, apartments or houses shared with other students, studio apartments with one all-purpose room, and private apartments with one or more bedrooms. Both furnished and unfurnished housing is available.

If I provide you with information on the type of housing I would like, will you find me a place to live?

The Office of Student Services provides a rental listing service only, not a placement service. While we cannot arrange housing for you, we can provide you with suggestions, support, and access to the MIIS Housing Website with information on available area rentals. Staff members will orient you to the service and to the various communities on the Monterey Peninsula and may be able to introduce you to other students who are looking for roommates. However, finding housing will be your responsibility.

Will my search be more difficult if I have children or pets?

Not many SILP students bring their families or pets with them for summer study. However, if you do choose to bring your family or pets keep in mind that Monterey landlords, like landlords elsewhere, are less open to accommodating children and pets, and many prefer not to rent to smokers. You should allow extra time and money in these cases.

I think I want to have a roommate for the summer—is that possible?

Many of the SILP students room with current MIIS students or with their SILP classmates. Student Services makes it easy for you to connect with other students in order to find a roommate. The MIIS Housing Website has a built in roommate finder that will allow you to create a profile, similar to a Facebook profile, so that you may search for a roommate. We also maintain a SILP Facebook group for all incoming SILP students.

What is the MIIS Off-Campus Housing website AND how do I get access to it?

The MIIS Off-Campus Housing website is offered by the Office of Student Services to help all MIIS students locate and secure housing. The online system makes it easier than ever to search for housing listings, contact landlords or student sublets, and decide where you will be living during your summer in Monterey. Once you have been accepted into the Summer Intensive program and pay your tuition deposit, the Office of Student Services will send you information on how you can access the housing website and create a profile that will allow you to search all of the available listings.

Does the Institute have on-campus housing or dormitories for SILP students?

The Institute does not have on-campus housing or dormitories available for students. This can cause some dismay for Summer Intensive Language Program (SILP) participants, but not to worry! There are several options available for summer housing.