Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
What types of financial aid are available for my fifth year?

There are two main components financial aid at the Institute: merit scholarships and federal financial aid (Federal Work Study, Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, and the Federal Graduate PLUS Loans) based on financial need.

How do I apply to the Institute?

Please visit Applying to MIIS for more details about the application process.

If I'm not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, can I apply for financial aid?

All students, regardless of their citizenship status, are considered for the The Institute merit scholarship if they successfully apply by the priority scholarship deadlines. Additionally, international students can also apply for a private educational loan if they have a creditworthy US cosigner. If you have an F-1 or J-1 Visa, you can also work on campus up to 20 hours per week to help defray living expenses.

If I had financial aid at Middlebury, do I need to reapply to attend the Institute?

Yes. All applicants who apply to the Institute by one of the priority scholarship deadlines are automatically considered for our merit scholarship. Students eligible for federal financial aid (US citizens, permanent residents, and qualifying non-residents) must apply annually. There is no formal deadline to apply for federal financia

Is financial aid available from the Institute for my fifth year?

Yes. However, financial aid for graduate programs is different than financial aid for undergraduate programs. In general, graduate students are presumed to be making an investment in their future careers. Therefore, they generally contribute some of their own funds - whether out of pocket or through education loans - toward their degree.

There are four main differences between federal financial aid at the undergraduate and graduate level:

Should I take macro- and microeconomics at Middlebury College?

Like all students in the policy programs, you have the option to take macro- and micro-economics as an undergraduate course, enroll in intensive economics courses at the Institute, or test out of the requirement. Learn more about the economics prerequisite.

What are the basic language proficiency requirements for the integrated degree programs?

There are different language proficiency requirements for native English speakers and non-native English speakers. If you are a native English speaker, you must complete two years of undergraduate coursework in one language. However, if you are studying Arabic, you must complete one year of undergraduate coursework for fall entry and one and a half years for spring entry.

How can I fulfill the "International Experience" requirement?

We recommend that all students have some type of international professional experience before beginning the fifth year of their integrated degree program. This experience could include a semester abroad, internship, or practicum during your time at Middlebury or the summer before you come to Monterey. The Center for Career and Advising Services will help you explore your options.

Which courses will I take at the Institute?

You will find more details about the graduate curriculum by visiting middlebury.edu

Which courses do I need to take at Middlebury College?

You will find course maps and more details about required undergraduate coursework by visiting middlebury.edu