Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
What is a J-1 Visa?

J-1 student status allows you to remain in the U.S. for the duration of your full-time academic program. To maintain J-1 student status, Exchange Students pursuing a Master's degree must be enrolled full-time during each fall and spring semester of their program. J-1 student status permits you to work on-campus as a student employee and off-campus as part of academic training. You'll need to obtain permission from your J-1 sponsor prior to starting on-campus or off-campus employment.

What is an F-1 Visa

The F-1 status allows a you to remain in the U.S. as long as you are a properly registered full-time student.  F-1 student status permits you to work on-campus during your program of study.  You may also be eligible for off-campus employment, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) during your program.  To apply for an F-1 visa and to enter the U.S. as an F-1 student, you must obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility Form from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies. To obtain the I-20, please complete the I-20 Application.

Can I participate in full-time CPT during the semester?

CPT is meant to complement your degree program and not interrupt the progress of your degree.  A student who applies for CPT must be able to show that they are enrolled full-time for the semester in which they are requesting work authorization.  CPT approved during a semester will be approved for part-time (up to, but no more than, 20 hours/week) unless the CPT request is for the IPSS or DPMI course. For these two courses, CPT is approved full-time for the term in which they are taken.

As an international student, am I eligible for US federal financial aid?

You must be a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, or an eligible non-citizen to be eligible for U.S. Federal financial aid. However, if admitted, you may qualify for our institutional scholarships, and private educational loans if you have a U.S. cosigner.