Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
What are the annual Stafford Loan limits?

Stafford loans are U.S. federal loans offered at a low interest rate to graduate and undergraduate students.

Annual Stafford Loan Limits

Base Amount  
Additional Unsubsidized

Dependency Status

All Students

Will I qualify for a Graduate Plus Loan?

Graduate PLUS loans are U.S. federal loans based on your credit worthiness, not financial need.

What types of financial aid are available for my fifth year?

There are two main components financial aid at the Institute: merit scholarships and federal financial aid (Federal Work Study, Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, and the Federal Graduate PLUS Loans) based on financial need.

If I'm not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, can I apply for financial aid?

All students, regardless of their citizenship status, are considered for the The Institute merit scholarship if they successfully apply by the priority scholarship deadlines. Additionally, international students can also apply for a private educational loan if they have a creditworthy US cosigner. If you have an F-1 or J-1 Visa, you can also work on campus up to 20 hours per week to help defray living expenses.

As an international student, can I apply for a private loan to cover my tuition and living expenses?

You can apply for private education loans with a US citizen or permanent resident co-signer.

Is financial need a requirement to receive aid?

You can receive certain types of aid without demonstrating financial need. For example, all eligible students may borrow Unsubsidized Stafford, Graduate PLUS, and private education loans to cover the cost of attendance. Graduate PLUS and private loans are granted based upon your credit history. You must demonstrate financial need for all other forms of Federal Aid such as Federal work-study and Subsidized loans.