Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
Am I eligible for U.S. federal financial aid?

You're eligible for U.S. federal financial aid if you are:

  • A US citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security Number
  • Admitted to a degree-seeking program
  • In good standing on previous student loans (not in default)
  • Enrolled at least half-time
  • Registered with the U.S. Selective Service, if required
  • Maintaining satisfactory academic progress
How will I know if I am receiving a merit scholarship, and if I should apply for the need-based grant?

If you apply for admission to a the Institute degree program by one of our priority scholarship deadlines, you will automatically be considered for a merit-based scholarship. Scholarship decisions are made and applicants are notified approximately 4 weeks after the deadline. You may also apply for the need-based grant, but these are completely separate review processes.

I am married. Do I need to provide income and asset information for my spouse?

Yes. You must provide this information for yourself and your spouse if you are applying for the need-based grant.

What will I be required to submit as an international student?

You will be asked to submit documentation in English from your employer and/or your parents' employer. This letter should include total earnings for the year including any allowances (e.g. housing, vehicles, retirement).

How much aid is available for the need-based institutional grant?

Need-based grants are up to $5,000. They are awarded in addition to any merit scholarships you may receive, and do not need to be repaid.

How do I apply?

To be considered, all students must register with Need Access (www.needaccess.com) and submit the electronic application. Please note that there is a $28 application fee. We are unable to offer fee waivers. You will need your most recent tax information to complete the Need Access application.

If I receive a need-based grant, is it renewable for future semesters?

If you receive a need-based grant in the fall semester, it will be renewed for the spring semester provided you are registered as a full-time student. The award is based on full-time enrollment and may be pro-rated if you do not take 11 or more credits. If you start your enrollment in a degree program in the spring semester, the award will not be automatically renewed for the next semester. You will be required to reapply each fall for new funding.

Will my financial aid offer be affected if I receive an outside scholarship?

Your financial aid offer may be adjusted if you receive scholarship assistance from another source. You are required to inform our office of the amount and source of any outside assistance received.

What if my parents are divorced?

Please submit information for the parent who has last claimed you as a dependent on their taxes.

What if my parents refuse to give me their tax information?

Within the Need Access application, your parent may register to submit personal income and asset information that will not be accessible to the student.