Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
What is a J-1 Visa?

J-1 student status allows you to remain in the U.S. for the duration of your full-time academic program. To maintain J-1 student status, Exchange Students pursuing a Master's degree must be enrolled full-time during each fall and spring semester of their program. J-1 student status permits you to work on-campus as a student employee and off-campus as part of academic training. You'll need to obtain permission from your J-1 sponsor prior to starting on-campus or off-campus employment.

What is an F-1 Visa

The F-1 status allows a you to remain in the U.S. as long as you are a properly registered full-time student.  F-1 student status permits you to work on-campus during your program of study.  You may also be eligible for off-campus employment, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) during your program.  To apply for an F-1 visa and to enter the U.S. as an F-1 student, you must obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility Form from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies. To obtain the I-20, please complete the I-20 Application.

When should I schedule my flight to the United States?

It is advisable that you schedule your flight to the U.S. after obtaining the F-1 visa and not before. Furthermore, the U.S. federal regulations mandate that you arrive in the U.S. no more than 30 days before the school report date listed on your I-20 or DS-2019. Please schedule your trip accordingly.

If I am not a US citizen or Green Card holder, do I need to apply for a student visa?

This question can be answered only on a case-by-case basis. Please contact visas@miis.edu to discuss the visa process.

Generally speaking, MIIS does not issue student visas for weekend workshops, and students must be able to attend on a tourist visa.