- Full-time students attend English classes 21 hours each week.
- There are two core classes in Oral Communication and Reading & Writing.
- Beginning-level students choose elective classes in American Culture and Integrated Skills.
- Intermediate and advanced students may also choose elective classes in TOEFL Preparation, Academic English, Business English and Advanced Language Skills.
- You can complete the Intensive English Programs application online.
- Or download a paper application and send it to our office.
Language & Professional Programs
Monterey Institute of International Studies
460 Pierce Street
Monterey, CA 93940-2658 USA
- The Monterey Institute and the Monterey Peninsula College (MPC) are partner schools.
- If you are conditionally admitted to MPC and need to improve your English language skills, you can study English at the Monterey Institute.
- Studying English at the Monterey Institute will help prepare you for your community college studies.
- For more information, visit the MPC website.
- Yes! Most students will require a student (F-1) visa.
- When we receive your application, $50.00 application fee, and $150.00 tuition deposit, we will prepare an I-20 and a letter of admission for you. You will also need to pay the I-901 fee of $200 to the Department of Homeland Security prior to your interview at the American embassy or consulate nearest you. With these documents, you can apply to the embassy or consulate for a visa.
- We will give you more detailed information on the visa application process after you apply.
- There are four study sessions each year in January, April, June and September. For specific details, please view our program dates.
- Many students attend more than one session, and some students stay up to one year.
- The tuition for an 8-week session is $3,350.00 and for a 10-week session is $4,175.00.
- All students are required to have health insurance. You must show proof of insurance when you register or buy the school insurance. For updated insurance pricing information, please visit the Tuition & Fees page.
- Monterey is a small town on the Central Coast of California, about 190 kilometers south of San Francisco.
- There are about 75,000 people on the Monterey Peninsula.
- This area is famous for its beautiful scenery and rich history, and it is very popular with tourists.
On-campus housing is not offered at the Monterey Institute. Please take a look at the Housing in Monterey Reference Guide to familiarize yourself with housing options in Monterey.
- No entrance exam is required for the Intensive English Program. Students take placement tests when they arrive to determine which classes will be most appropriate for them.
- The TOEFL iBT is offered on a regular basis for an additional fee.
- Most students at the school are graduate students. About 800 students study here for international professional careers. Other students study language only.
- The graduate students and language students are preparing for professions that require high language skills and experience with other cultures.
- About 60% of the students come from the United States, and 40% are from 70 different countries.
- The small size and international student body make this school a very special place to study.