Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
Can I travel outside the US while I am on OPT?

A student engaged in OPT before completion of studies follows the same procedure for visits abroad and re-entry as all F-1 students.If you engage in OPT following the completion of your studies and you travel outside the US temporarily (less than 5 months), you can be readmitted to resume employment for the remainder of the period authorized on your EAD card provided you present the following:

  • Your valid Form I-20 signed by one of the designated school officials at MIIS within the last 6 months at the time of re-entry
  • Your unexpired EAD,
  • A valid passport with a valid F-1 visa, and
  • A letter from your employer verifying your employment