Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey

Work Authorization

Student Employment

International Students in the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status are eligible for certain types of work authorization. Employment for students in F-1 or J-1 is classified as either on-campus or off-campus work authorization. In order to maintain valid F-1 or J-1 status you must not work in the U.S. unless your employment has been authorized according to federal regulations.

Working in the U.S. without the correct authorization can lead to the loss of your visa status. Being out of status can affect your legal presence in the U.S., work authorization, and future visa applications.

Please keep in mind, that you must follow the procedures regarding all types of work authorization or you may put your student visa status in jeopardy.

SS_optional_practical_training SS_CPT
SS Academic Training SS_Economic Hardship SS_tax_info