Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey

On Campus Work Study

On Campus Employment

As an international student in F-1 or J-1 status you are eligible to work on-campus if you are currently enrolled in classes and maintaining your student status. The following are some of the guidelines for international students seeking on-campus employment.

To search current, available on-campus work opportunities visit the Office of Student Financial Planning's listings for work study.


Employment Guidelines

New international students who are in "initial status"  cannot begin work until the start of the semester in which you begin your studies. This is an institutional policy.

All international students who obtain on-campus work-study positions, must fill out the required Human Resources paperwork.

  • J-1 Students: In-addition to completing the HR paperwork, you must also receive approval from the Office of Student Services prior to beginning your on-campus job.
You can participate in on-campus work throughout your studies as long as you are maintaining your student status.
You are limited to 20 hours per week during the academic session.
You can work full-time (20 hours or more) during official school breaks (i.e., summer vacation and winter and spring break).
You cannot engage in on-campus employment once you complete your program, although it is possible to work in your field of study at the Institute when you have completed your program, but you must obtain proper work authorization.
You can continue to work on-campus between programs if you are changing levels at the Institute, i.e., if you are moving from a language training program to a degree program or from the undergraduate level to graduate level.
A student can only engage in on-campus work at the school who issued his/her Form I-20 or Form DS-2019. If you are enrolled in more than one school, this means you can only work on the campus which issued your current Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.