Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey

Visiting Faculty and Staff

Information for Visiting Faculty, Staff & Researchers

Visa Information for MIIS Departments

The International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) office of Middlebury College provides visa support for on-campus departments who are bringing international faculty, researchers, staff and other visitors to the Institute. Like international students coming to the U.S. to study, these other entities will also need to obtain a visa and legal status to work or study in the U.S.

MIIS sponsors scholars in a variety of different non-immigrant classifications depending on the purpose and nature of their visit. All requests for institutional sponsorship officially begin in the host department or research center in which the individual will be working or studying. Below is some information pertaining to those individuals who will be obtaining a J-1 exchange visa.

ISSS will provide information to incoming scholars regarding life in Monterey.  If you start to receive questions about housing or the Monterey area, please feel free to provide a link to the Visiting Scholar Resource Guide.

J-1 Categories and Definitions

The Institute has been authorized to bring individuals to the U.S. as visiting professors, visiting research scholar, short-term scholars and specialists. Individuals may come for a minimum of two weeks to teach, conduct research, or share their expertise with our campus community. These experiences may be either paid by the Institute or by the home institution. In order for a department to initiate a request the DS2019 Request must be completed and submitted.


The purpose of this position is primarily teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting. An individual coming to campus as a visiting professor may also conduct research. The maximum time limit for this type of visitor is 5 years.

Research Scholar

The purpose of this position is primarily to conduct research, observe, or consult in connection with a research project. An individual coming to campus as a research scholar may also teach. The maximum time limit for this type of visitor is 5 years.

Short-term Scholar

The purpose of this position is primarily to act as a professor or research scholar on a short-term trip to lecture, observe, consult, train, or demonstrate special skills. The maximum time limit for this type of visitor is 6 months.

There are different types of visa classifications used by the Institute, in which a visiting professor, researcher, or scholar may enter the U.S. Within each type, there is specific information regarding employment, enrollment in classes, travel and re-entry, limitations and extensions of stay, and dependents.

Forms for Visiting Faculty and Staff: