Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey

J-1 Exchange

General Information about the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program for visiting faculty, researchers and scholars.

General Information for Exchange Visitors

 J-1 Exchange Visitor Professor, Research Scholar,
and Short-term Scholar as per federal regulations:

A professor is defined in government regulations as:

22 CFR § 62.4(e) An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting at post-secondary accredited educational institutions, museums, libraries, or similar types of institution. A professor may also conduct research, unless disallowed by the sponsor.

A research scholar is defined in government regulations as:

22 CFR § 62.4(f) An individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project at research institutions, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited educational institutions, or similar types of institutions. The research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor.

A short-term scholar is defined in government regulations as:

22 CFR § 62.4(b) A professor, research scholar, or person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at research institutions, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited educational institutions, or similar type of institutions.

If you will be participating in a program which furthers the objectives of the Exchange Visitor Program, and you have activities that are compatible with those objectives, you can be sponsored in the J-1 professor, research scholar, or short-term scholar category. The Institute has been designated by the Department of State (DOS) to host professors and researchers.

To participate in the J program as a professor, research scholar, or short-term scholar, you are expected to have appropriate academic credentials or similar credentials. J-1 professors or research scholars cannot hold tenure or be placed in positions "on a tenure track" but can occupy such positions temporarily even if the positions are normally tenured or tenure-track (e.g., as a visiting professor in a position held by a tenured professor who is on sabbatical).

Reporting upon arrival at the Institute

New scholars and researchers are required to check-in with OIS within 7 days of arrival to allow the responsible officer to validate their program in SEVIS. They should bring the following documents for the scholar and each of their dependents: Passport, visa, I-94, DS-2019, and proof of insurance

Employment for J-1 Professors, Researchers, and Short-term Scholars

Your primary activity should be accurately designated on your Form DS-2019, keeping in mind the following:

Professors and Researchers

Professors are permitted to engage in research and Researchers are permitted to engage in teaching and lecturing as allowed by the sponsor of their program. It is possible to shift from teaching to research and vice versa without making a formal request for a change of category to the Department of State.

With regard to additional employment, professors and researchers can accept occasional employment at another location as long as that employment is authorized by the responsible officer, documented in SEVIS, is directly related to the objectives of your program, is incidental to your primary program, and does not delay the completion date of your; that is, as long as it is in conformity with federal regulations. If you are considering additional employment, please make an appointment to speak with the responsible officer in the Office of International Services prior to commencing such work.

Short-term Scholars

You are permitted to engage in a variety of activities as long as they are listed on the Form DS-2019. These activities can include research, workshops, seminars, and conferences. Professors and researchers who enter under the short-term scholar category are permitted to participate in occasional lectures or consultations with authorization, under the same requirements as professors and researchers stated above.