Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions about the visa application process.

Visa Related Questions and Answers

As you prepare for to travel to the U.S. you will have many questions about the visa application process, and the documentation required to procure your visa. Here is a list of the most common questions we receive about the application. If you have any additional questions not addressed here feel free to contact the Office of Student Services at visas@miis.edu.

When will I receive the Form I-20 (F-1 student) or DS-2019 (J-1 student)?

Once your I-20 Application or DS-2019 Application and supporting documentation has been submitted to the Office of Student Services and your tuition deposit is paid, your I-20 or DS-2019 will be created. After your I-20 or DS-2019 has been created you will receive an email with information that will allow you to start the visa application process while waiting for your documents to arrive.  In this email, we will also confirm your preferred mailing method for your documents. The I-20 or DS-2019 will be mailed with your original Admissions letter, Scholarship letter as well as any original document that was submitted with the I-20 or DS-2019 Application (financial documents, etc.)

If you would like your documents sent by regular first class mail, then the Office of Student Services will need to confirm the mailing address.

If you would like to have your document sent by express mail you will need register your FedEx or DHL request with eShipGlobal: https://study.eshipglobal.com/  Express mail instructions are also in the I-20 or DS-2019 Application.

Please keep in mind that you will need to receive the original I-20 or DS-2019 before going for your visa interview.

Do I need to submit any supporting documents with my I-20 or DS-2019 Application?

Yes. in addition to completing the I-20 or DS-2019 Application, you will need to provide a copy of your passport and evidence of your financial support. You or your financial guarantor needs to provide the Institute with either original bank statements or other official financial documents issued within the last 6 months for your I-20 or DS-2019 Application to be considered complete. You will also need original bank documents to present for your visa interview. If you can only get one set of original bank documents, please submit the originals to the Office of Student Services with your I-20 or DS-2019 Application.  All original bank documents will be sent back with your I-20 or DS-2019.

If you are providing support from a loan or scholarship, we need to see the loan approval notice issued from the lender or your scholarship award letter issued by the sponsoring organization or foundation. Until the loan or scholarship has been issued, we will not be able to issue you the Form I-20 or DS-2019.

If you are bringing dependents, you will also need to provide copies of their passports as well as show additional financial support to cover the estimated cost of living.

What is the SEVIS fee requirement?

U.S. Embassies and Consulates are required to collect a $200 (F-1) or $180 (J-1) SEVIS fee before issuing F-1 or J-1 visas for first-time visa applicants only. For students who need F-1 or J-1 visa renewal while attending the Institute, this SEVIS fee is not applicable.

The SEVIS fee can be paid either by mail or on-line at www.fmjfee.com.

Please visit the SEVIS website for additional information on fee requirements.

Is it okay if I send the financial documents written in my native language?

All financial documentation submitted to the Office of Student Services needs to be in English.  If your financial institution cannot provide a document in English, then a certified translated copy can be submitted with the original document. You may scan/email the document to the Office of Student Services to see if it is acceptable.

Who is considered a dependent? What do I need to do to bring them with me to the U.S.?

A dependent is considered your spouse (wife or husband) and children under the age of 21. Each of your dependents will be issued an I-20 or DS-2019. We must know their names, birth dates, city and country of births, and country of citizenship as they appear on their passports before issuing their Form I-20 or DS-2019. Each dependent will receive a separate Form I-20 or DS-2019 in order to apply for the F-2 or J-2 visa. You can include this information in the I-20 or DS-2019 Application.

How much does the bank statement need to show?

The required amount for the 2017-2018 academic year is $62,489 for a two year Master's degree program. This amount may differ if pursuing an advanced entry degree. Please visit the Tuition & Fees page for more information.

If you are receiving Merit Scholarships from MIIS or other types of support you will only need to show the remaining required amount. For example: if you are receiving a $10,000 Merit Scholarship from MIIS then you will only need to show $52,489.

If you are bringing a spouse and/or children to the U.S. with you you will need to show additional amounts. Please contact visas@miis.edu for the amount of support you will need to show for a spouse and/or child.

Can I use copies of my or my guarantor's tax return document (1040) from last year as the substitute for submitting the I-20 or DS-2019 Application and/or bank statements?

No. The tax return information from last year only tells us you or your sponsor’s income from last year. We need to know if you have the sufficient funds set aside for your studies at the Institute.

When can I begin the visa application?

The Department of State can issue the visa for your program no more than 120 days prior to the start of your program as indicated on the I-20 or DS-2019. It is recommended that you apply for the visa as soon as possible.

What if my employer is the financial guarantor?

If you will continue to receive your same salary while attending the institution this would be considered your own personal funds. If your employer will be paying above your salary or specifically for tuition expenses, you should provide a letter from your employer identifying what he/she will be paying. If this is a small business your employer will need to show a bank statement.