Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
Who is considered a dependent? What do I need to do to bring them with me to the U.S.?

A dependent is considered your spouse (wife or husband) and unmarried children under the age of 21. Each of your dependents will be issued an I-20 or DS-2019 in order to apply for the F-2 or J-2 visa. A copy of a dependent's passport and financial documentation showing support for estimated cost of living, must be received by ISSS before an I-20 or DS-2019 can be issued.