Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
What is a J-1 Visa?

J-1 student status allows you to remain in the U.S. for the duration of your full-time academic program. To maintain J-1 student status, Exchange Students pursuing a Master's degree must be enrolled full-time during each fall and spring semester of their program. J-1 student status permits you to work on-campus as a student employee and off-campus as part of academic training. You'll need to obtain permission from your J-1 sponsor prior to starting on-campus or off-campus employment.

To apply for a J-1 visa and to enter the U.S. as a J-1 student, you must obtain a Form DS-2019 from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies. To obtain the DS-2019, complete the DS-2019 Application.