Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey

Visa FAQ

What is a J-1 Visa?

J-1 student status allows you to remain in the U.S. for the duration of your full-time academic program. To maintain J-1 student status, Exchange Students pursuing a Master's degree must be enrolled full-time during each fall and spring semester of their program. J-1 student status permits you to work on-campus as a student employee and off-campus as part of academic training. You'll need to obtain permission from your J-1 sponsor prior to starting on-campus or off-campus employment.

To apply for a J-1 visa and to enter the U.S. as a J-1 student, you must obtain a Form DS-2019 from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies. To obtain the DS-2019, complete the DS-2019 Application.

What is the I-20 or DS-2019 Application?

A completed I-20 Application or DS-2019 Application is required in order to demonstrate your ability to pay tuition and living expenses.The Institute is required per U.S. federal regulations to confirm sufficient financial resources for the first academic year of study (for F-1 students) or for the entire program (for J-1 students).  These costs include tuition, fees and the estimated cost of living.  A breakout of these costs can be viewed on the Tuition & Fees webpage.  The I-20 Application or DS-2019 Application is required for all international students who are requesting an F-1 or J-1 visa status for study at the Institute.

Please read the first two pages of the application carefully as it contains information about how to complete the document and provides information about the required supporting documentation.

What is an F-1 Visa

The F-1 status allows a you to remain in the U.S. as long as you are a properly registered full-time student.  F-1 student status permits you to work on-campus during your program of study.  You may also be eligible for off-campus employment, Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT) during your program.  To apply for an F-1 visa and to enter the U.S. as an F-1 student, you must obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility Form from the Middlebury Institute of International Studies. To obtain the I-20, please complete the I-20 Application.

If you are currently studying in the U.S. on an F-1 or other student visa, please be sure to indicate that on your I-20 Application; special procedures for completing the I-20 transfer process will apply.