Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey

In Case of Illness or Accident

Emergency Phone Numbers

  • Call: 911 for Police, Fire or Ambulance

    • For the hearing impaired, dial 911 and press the space bar until someone answers for TDD/TTY calls.

Campus Security

  • Call: 647-4153 (available 24/7)


  • Use Any Blue Emergency Phone

If you or a fellow student have a medical emergency or have been hospitalized, please contact the Campus Security Office (available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week) by dialing 647-4153 or by using a “Blue Emergency Phone” attached to the buildings in various parts of the campus (marked TELEPHONE). These phones are connected directly to Campus Security. The Security Office maintains student medical emergency cards with information about medical conditions and whom to contact in case of emergency. Be aware that it is the policy and practice at the Institute to call 911 for medical emergencies.

Student Emergencies Need to Be Reported

  • Call: 647-4128, Office of Student Services

Student emergencies need to be reported to the Office of Student Services. In addition, if you or a fellow student have a family emergency or are ill and would like the Office of Student Services to contact your professors about class absences, please contact the Office of Student Services.

Hospital Emergency Rooms

Please do not go to the Emergency Room for routine medical care and for minor injuries. In the U.S., insurance companies will only pay for emergency room service in case of a real medical emergency (see below for “After hours” medical clinics).


Community Hospital
23625 Holman Highway
Monterey, CA.

CALL: 624-5311 or 1-888-45CHOMP

(Take Highway 1 South to Route 68 West and turn right; then take the right turn at the first traffic light.)


Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital
450 E Romie Lane
Salinas, CA 93901

CALL: 757-4333


Medical Referrals

The Office of Student Services Office has a First Aid Kit and can refer students to physicians, dentists and professional counselors in the community. However, students often use the services of the following medical group for minor emergencies.

After Hours Medical Clinic

The following provider is a Preferred Provider in the MIIS Student Health Insurance Plan:

Monterey Bay Urgent Care
245 Washington Street (across from the Sports Center)

They are open from 7:30 am to 6:00 pm weekdays and 9:00 to 5:00 pm on weekends. No appointment is necessary.

Emergency Numbers

WellConnect Student Assistance Program

1-866-640-4777 (24-hour hotline) or www.wellconnectbysrs.com

Contact Student Services for the MIIS Student Code to access the website.

Community Human Services Counseling and Recovery

For questions about programs please call (831) 658-3811


Alcoholics Anonymous

(831) 373-3713 (24-hour hotline). They will attempt to put you in touch with an advocate.


Domestic Violence Crisis Line (YWCA)


372-6300 or 757-1001 (Located in Monterey) or 1-800-YWCA-151 (24-hour hotline)

Drug Abuse Hotline (Narcotics Anonymous)

1-800-711-6375 or 624-2055 (Monterey)

Mental Health Crisis Line

625-4623 in Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula

Monterey County Department of Monterey Social Services

899-8001 (Monterey Peninsula); 755-4650 Salinas and outside area)

Monterey County Behavioral Health

755-4510 Monterey County Health Department

1-800-234-5465 PacifiCare’s 24-hour hotline

Poison Control Center

1-800-222-1222 (24-hour hotline)

Rape Crisis Line

375-4357 (24-hour hotline)

Suicide Prevention and Crisis Hotline

649-8008 (24-hour hotline) or 1-877-663-5433

Child Abuse Reporting

755-4661 (Monterey)

Other Hotlines

  • Call 211 or in the page A2 of a public telephone directory


Non-Emergency Situations

Contacting Area Police

To contact the police in non-emergency situations, e.g. reporting a stolen bicycle, call your area police department:

  • Monterey: 646-3914 (351 Madison Street)
  • Pacific Grove: 647-7900 (580 Pine Avenue)
  • For other police departments, call Information at 411

Reporting Safety Hazards on Campus

To report any safety hazard on campus, go to Campus Security (for immediate danger) or the Office of Student Services.