MIIS Students enrolled in long or short-term programs are required to have health insurance. Read below for more detailed information.
The MIIS Student Health Insurance Plan
Due to the experiential nature of our academic programs and for your personal health and wellbeing, we require all students enrolled in 6 or more credit hours during the fall/spring terms or 4 or more credit hours during the summer term to have health insurance. To meet the MIIS health insurance requirement, you must either:
- Enroll in the MIIS Student Health Insurance Plan offered through Wells Fargo Student Health Insurance (see below for more information)
- Waive out of the Student Health Insurance Plan by providing proof of existing health insurance. In the case of international students, government or socialized healthcare provided by your home countries is acceptable, provided that it includes coverage in the United States.
This step is required each semester unless selecting the annual option when enrolling; the waiver is annual. The health insurance requirement should be satisfied by 4:00 pm on the first day of classes.
2015 - 2016 Student Health Insurance Plan Information
- Click the "Enroll Now" button
- Click "Find Your School's Plan" at the top of the page
- Enter "Middlebury Institute" in the search bar and click "Search"
- Once "Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey" pops up, click on "Enroll in Coverage" (make sure you are selecting in the correct year).
- Follow prompts to complete your enrollment.
To find a PPO provider, you may call Anthem at (855) 296-0864 or access only at "Find a Doctor."
Healthcare Reform FAQs
Private Health Insurance
Should you decide to opt-out of the MIIS Student Health Insurance plan, you still need to provide proof of health insurance. Students who are opting out of the MIIS insurance plan, but have not yet obtained private insurance must do so before 4:00pm on the first day of classes. The following are helpful links for obtaining private health insurance:
Health Plan One: Online health insurance marketplace for individuals, families, and small groups/businesses. It also serves as an educational source for all health care topics. They do not endorse one specific policy. Instead, they educate students on their options, both while currently enrolled and options for after they graduate.
EHealthInsurance.com: Online tool for finding health insurance.
Med Secure Intl. LLC: Offers international health/travel insurance for students, scholars, expatriates, missionaries, boaters and businesses. Owned by a MIIS alum.
Information for International Students
Wondering how health insurance works in the US? Take a look at this video for a brief but important introduction to the US Healthcare System.