Participating in an Immersive Learning program? Apply here for funding.
Immersive Learning Funding Guidelines
The Student Council at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies (MIIS) endeavors to support the needs of the student body by providing opportunities to apply for financial support for Immersive Learning Programs (ILP). Determine if your ILP is eligible for funding. Funding is awarded on an individual basis and can be awarded for a credit bearing or non-credit bearing ILP experience.
- Current BA and MA degree-seeking students in good academic and financial standing with the Institute
- Only MIIS-approved Immersive Learning Programs will be considered
Application Requirements and Information
- Submit completed Immersive Learning Funding Application
- A one page proposal expounding the following points:
- Describe the ILP and why you wish to attend
- Explain how the ILP will enhance your learning experience at MIIS and will further your career goals
- Elaborate on how your participation in this ILP will enrich the MIIS community
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis (or until funds run out)
- Applications will not be accepted after 4pm on May 15, 2016
- Student can apply before or after their ILP up until the May 15th deadline
- Consideration will only be given to applicants who apply for an ILP that will take place in the same academic year – fall term, spring term, J-term and summer (e.g.: you cannot apply for ILP funding in a new academic year for an ILP you participated in the previous year)
Five Rubric Components for Application Evaluations and Scoring
Evaluation of each application is based on the following five components, each worth 20%.
|0: Does not qualify, not receiving funding||$0|
|1: Sufficient application: comprehendible, sufficient proposal, objectives, mention of professional goals and deliverable||$300|
|2: Good application: clear, well-written proposal, objectives, goals and deliverable||$500|
|3: Flawless application: excellent proposal, objectives, goals and deliverable; application meets all criteria||$800|
- Word choice, grammar, sentence structure and length (1 page)
- Description of experience - depth and planning
- Including the why - addressing MIIS goals/mission and how this experience represents that
- Benefit to student
- How this experience will enhance your learning at MIIS and further your career
- Benefit to MIIS
- How this experience will enrich the MIIS community
- examples: will it inspire students to do something similar; help us create a new course; enhance MIIS curriculum
- clearly thought out deliverable/tangible feedback for sharing the experience with MIIS community
- Intended use of funding
- Inclusion of predicted costs
Funding and Reimbursement
- Funding can be used towards the following expenses only:
- Program registration (not tuition)
- Funding is not guaranteed
- Amount awarded is at the discretion of the Immersive Learning Funding Committee
- Funding is awarded on a rolling basis
- Funding is provided on a reimbursement basis only
- If you requested federal financial aid (student loan) for the course associated with this application and are subsequently awarded the Immersive Learning Funding, that funding may be applied to reduce the loan indebtedness.
- Reimbursement requests will be processed when the Immersive Learning Funding Committee has received:
- Original Receipts for expenses (program cost (not tuition), travel or lodging)
- Deliverable documenting the experience. The deliverable can be in the form of a report, video or blog. If submitting a report or academic deliverable, please include a 200-300 word summary of your immersive learning experience highlighting how it has impacted you, personally or professionally in the document. MIIS reserves the right to use this information through our online platforms to share your story.
- Completed reimbursement voucher
- Photo of student or group/class in the field: Ideal images should be good quality and high-resolution. Candid images of students working or well-composed posed or group images preferred.
Preference will be given to applicants who have not yet received funding this academic year.
- The Immersive Learning Funding Committee reserves the right to request additional documentation regarding attendance and/or participation including, but not limited to: receipts, registration forms, and proof of participation
- Students applying for Immersive Learning Funding must read and agree to these terms
- Students will be notified of their award via email 2-4 weeks after submission