Thinking about attending a conference? Apply for Student Council Conference Funding! Due to the high demand for Conference Funding, the applicant pool is competitive.
Funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Funding is not guaranteed!
Conference Funding Guidelines
The Student Council endeavors to support the needs of the student body by providing the opportunity to apply for financial support when attending or presenting at professional conferences both domestically and abroad.
Please click the following link to download the powerpoint from the Conference Fudning Information Session: Conference Funding Presentation for Website.pptx
- Current BA and MA degree-seeking students in good academic and financial standing with the Institute
Application Requirements and Information
- Submit completed Conference Funding Application.
- Applications can be submitted from August 29, 2016-May 5, 2017.
- No applications will be accepted after May 5, 2017.
- Consideration will only be given to applicants who apply for Conference Funding related to a conference taking place in the same academic year, including summer. Applicants must be full-time, currently enrolled, degree-seeking students at the time of the conference.
- With the exception of the first review period, your application must be received in advance of the conferece for which you are applying. For example, if you plan to attend a conference in January you must apply by the December 2nd review date. Retroactive applications will not be reviewed, except for the first review session on Oct. 11th in which case your conference must have happened after August 29, 2016.
- Upon review, your application may receive pre-approval for funding, but the actual reimbursement will not be processed until the proper documentation (including the deliverable) is submitted after the conference.
- The Conference Funding Committee will meet 4 times per academic year to review applications. They will meet within 1-2 weeks of the review dates listed below-
- October 11, 2016
- December 2, 2016
- April 1, 2017
- May 5th, 2017
Point Scale Used for Application Evaluation
Award decisions will be based on the point system below. Points are awarded based on the criteria below and are then converted into a percentage of the amount awarded.
If a conference attendee requested $500, and received a 3, the Committee would award the attendee 100% of the $300 maximum allocation. This is because the maximum allocation that an attendee can receive is $300.
However, if a conference attendee requested $200, and received a 2, the Committee would award the attendee 66% of the $200 request or $133.
Please note, the maximum allocation for a conference attendee is $300 and $825 for a presenter, which is the maximum award one can receive from conference funding. Additionally, students can only recieve one conference funding award per academic year.
Criteria Used in Evaluation
- Submitted application with proposal stating the name and purpose of the conference, along with the reasons the student is interested in attending. The application should demonstrate that the conference is directly related to the student's field of study and/or academic interest and explain the general benefits and classroom benefits the student would receive from attending.
- Submitted application with a detailed proposal stating the name and purpose of the conference, along with the reasons the student is interested in attending. The proposal should demonstrate that the conference is directly related to the student's field of study and/or academic interest. It should also outline the specific and tangible classroom benefits the student would receive from attending and should explain how the conference is related to the student's future career goals, touching on how conference attendance will benefit the MIIS community as a whole.
- Submitted one full page application with a detailed, comprehensive proposal stating the name and purpose of the conference, along with the reasons the student is interested in attending. The proposal should demonstrate that the conference is directly related to the student's field of study and/or academic interest. It should also outline the specific and tangible classroom benefits the student would receive from attending. Finally, the proposal should explain how the conference is related to the student's future career goals and provide a detailed, robust explanation for how conference attendance will benefit the MIIS community as a whole.
Funding and Reimbursement
- Funding can be used towards the following expenses only:
- Conference Registration
- Funding is not guaranteed
- Amount awarded is at the discretion of the Conference Funding Committee
- Funding is provided on a reimbursement basis only
- All reimbursement paperwork must be submitted 2 weeks after the last day of the conference attended. Failure to do so may cause the student to loose the funds allocated by the committee.
- Reimbursement requests will be processed when the Committee receives:
- A voucher form, filled out correctly
- All relevant, original receipts
- Required deliverable-a blog post about the experience to share on the Student Council Community Blog or a presentation at the Conference Funding Symposium in February and May.
- Students will be notified of their award via email within 2-3 weeks of the closest review date following their submission.
- It is important to turn in a strong application as they will only be reviewed one time per conference. Re-submissions for the same conference will not be accepted.
- Students applying for Conference Funding must read and agree to these terms.
- Based on past analysis of past conferences, the Student Council allocates up to 2/3 of the Conference Funding to be spent on fall semester conferences and 1/3 for the spring semester. This is to allow those that have conference opportunities in the spring an equal chance at applying for funding.
- The Conference Funding Committee reserves the right to request additional documentation regarding attendance/participation including but not limited to: receipts, registration forms and proof of participation.