The Student Council and the Office of Student Services are committed to encouraging student clubs and activities that promote the mission of the Institute.
Start a Student Club
If you are interested in starting a student club or organization at the Institute, everything you need to know about the process is included on this page. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Office of Student Services.
Before filling out the Club Application, please read through the Guidelines, Criteria, and Rules for establishing a Student Club at the Institute listed below.
Guidelines for Club Application and Approval Process
- Review the Club Membership Guidelines and student Club Criteria (below).
- Participate in the Club Activities Fair on Thursday, February 9th from 12-1:50pm in the Samson Center Patio to recruit interested members. The deadline to sign-up is 12pm on Tuesday, February 7th.
- Complete the Student Club Application by 12pm Friday, February 10th.
- The club president will be notified by email with confirmation of provisional approval status on or before Monday, February 13th.
- The president and treasurer of approved clubs will be required to attend a Mandatory Club Meeting on Tuesday, February 14th from 12:30pm-1:45pm in Morse, B 104.
Criteria for Club Approval
- Mission and activities must adhere to the overall mission of the Institute.
- Must maintain at least 10 active student members.
- Must have one first year student AND one second year student in a leadership role.
- Organizational structure must consist of at least two officer positions—one president and one treasurer.
- The president and treasurer of each club must attend a Mandatory Club Meeting in order to learn how to operate as a club, how funds are allocated to clubs, how to manage club budgets, event planning rules and more. Attendance at this orientation is required for final club approval status.
- Clubs must fit into one or more of the following categories:
- Sports and Recreation
- Culture and Language
- Awareness and Issue-based
- International Organization
- MIIS Campus Chapter of National Organization
- Each club must host, sponsor, and/or actively participate in a minimum of one event or fundraiser per semester. The event must be advertised and open to the entire MIIS community.
- Student Clubs are defined as organizations whose membership is made up of MIIS students and whose activities are open to MIIS students—irrespective of their academic divisions. Membership in student clubs may also include MIIS staff, faculty and alumni. However, staff, faculty nor alumni can be in a leadership role.
- Student club members must be registered MIIS students and have paid the current academic year's student activity fee.
- Student Clubs must have an active membership of at least 10 students.
- All clubs must have a president and a treasurer in leadership roles.
- There must be one first year student and one second year student in a leadership role to ensure continuity from one academic year to another.
- Clubs are not required to have a faculty or staff adviser. However, if a club chooses to do so, the name of the club adviser must be provided to the Office of Student Services at the beginning of the term.
Additional Rules and Guidelines
- Clubs will be approved at the beginning of the fall and spring terms.
- Club applications will be reviewed and approved by the Director of Student Life and the Student Council President.
- Clubs that have existed and followed the rules in previous semesters will receive priority screening for approval as long as they have met the requirements and have submitted the application by the due date.
- If using Student Council allocated club funds, no more than 35% of the expenditure for an event may be spent on alcohol purchases.