Student clubs may qualify for forum funding to clubs wishing to host a forum or conference.
Forum Funding Guidelines
The Student Council encourages the academic, professional and cultural interests of the Monterey Institute's student clubs by supporting those students who wish to host a large scale event such as a conference or panel. Please read below for more information
- Support the academic and cultural interests of MIIS students by providing thought provoking and insightful perspectives on international topics.
- To bring together leading experts and professionals on topics important to MIIS students to our campus to share knowledge, experiences and participate in networking opportunities.
- Speakers must be professional/accredited persons and organizations to speak or perform at a Student Council/Club sponsored forum.
- The event should provide interpretation services when available. The T&I program should be consulted.
- Joint club sponsorship by at least two clubs increases the strength of an application.
- There is no specification made to whether or not there should be a balanced perspective provided on an issue, but it must be clearly presented on whether or not this is the case.
Forum Funding Policies
- All Forum funding proposals must be presented to the Student Council (SC) in person at least 2 weeks prior to the event. Club must contact the SC President or Secretary to confirm attendance at the SC meeting.
- Click here for an example of a forum funding request presentation.
- Forum funding proposals must be complete with
- Name of Forum
- Purpose of Forum
- Date, Time, & Location of Event
- Sponsoring MIIS Club(s)
- Contact Person(s)
- Co-Sponsoring Clubs & Departments
- General description of proposed event. Be sure to explain how this activity supports the academic and cultural interests of MIIS students.
- Estimated Number of Attendees
- What will T&I’s role be regarding interpretation
- Marketing plan
- Clubs must seek funding from respective programs and departments before applying for forum funds through the SC.
- The SC will vote on an approved amount to award for each forum. Clubs are strongly encouraged to not provide any financial compensation to speakers.
- If a club is applying for a second forum within the same academic year, priority consideration will be given to those who have not received forum funds. This is not a guarantee for secured funds, but this will be considered.
- Your club may not receive the full funding amount requested. However, upon SC review, your forum funding request may be forwarded to the President’s Office for matched fund consideration.
- Funding is dependent on delivery to the SC of a 500 word summary and photos (if possible) of the event after it has taken place.