Student Clubs may qualify for Student Council funding. See below for funding guidelines. To request Student Council Funding please fill out the Funding Request. To inquire about off-campus fundraising fill out the Off-Campus Funding Request.
Guidelines for Club Funding
Student Clubs are eligible to receive funding from the Student Council on an ad hoc basis. Student Clubs must complete the Club Funding Request form in order to request club funding from the Student Council (“SC”). Only approved clubs will be considered for Student Council Funding.
Following the third meeting of the SC, the SC Budget Committee, which is chaired by the SC Treasurer, will be available to receive funding request from clubs.
Budget Procedures Information
- Funding may be granted by the SC Budget Committee for all, some, or none of the requested amount.
- Student Clubs should be prepared to meet some of their costs either by fundraising or by charging the participant a fee, if necessary.
- Student Clubs are accountable for how they spend funds received from the SC.
- Monies allocated by the SC may not be sent to other organizations as donations, nor may they be used for activities not approved by the SC.
- Funds may be spent only for the activities and materials approved by the SC Budget Committee. Spending for non-approved purposes may result in reimbursement refusal.
- If using Student Council allocated club funds, no more than 35% of the expenditure for an event may be spent on alcohol purchases.
- Clubs must follow the procedures for reimbursement and revenue
- The Student Council will not fund meals at expensive restaurants, costly equipment, luxury goods, elaborate parties, and activities that benefit only a small number of students.
- Entrance fees, speaker fees, film rentals, etc. will be considered legitimate expenses. Non-legitimate expenses include gas money, transportation, tickets, phone bills, and lodging. Authorization for the use of funds by individual council representatives or officers will not be accepted.
- If a club wishes to challenge a decision of the SC Budget Committee, the club treasurer must attend a SC meeting and present the budget request. Should a motion be made to reconsider the decision of the SC Budget Committee, it must pass by a two-thirds majority vote of the SC.
- Inclusion on the meeting agenda should be arranged in advance by contacting the Student Council Secretary.
- Funds allocated to a club from the SC will be processed through the SC account. Funds will never be transferred to an outside bank account.
- Additionally, approved student clubs are not permitted to maintain independent bank accounts. All monies, whether allocated from the Student Council or those raised by the club, must be processed through the Student Council Bank account. Generally funds will not be transferred to a separate MIIS budget account.
- If a club plans to host a forum or conference, make sure to read through the Forum Funding policies and procedures.