Venue Reservation Policy
In an effort to clarify how all venues at the Monterey Institute are scheduled, the following policy is now in effect. This includes all classrooms, the Pacific computer lab, the Irvine Auditorium, the McCone Boardroom, the McCone Atrium areas, the Holland Center, and the Samson Student Center.
The President's Office will schedule the following, via our online Room Reservation Request Form:
- All requests for the McCone Boardroom. Please note that the Boardroom is only available on a very limited basis for reservations and that NO food or drink is allowed in this room.
- All requests for the Pacific computer lab. Use of this lab is limited due to class and student usage, and does not include support services. Off-hour usage of these labs may require an additional support contract.
- All requests for the Samson Student Center (including the Dining Room, Reading Room, Media Room, and Patio). Due to heavy usage of the Samson Center, it is very rarely shut down for special events and is only done so at the discretion of the President’s Office. The President’s Office must be informed of any events planned at the Samson Center. At times, small portions of the Samson Center may be reserved for small events.
- All requests for the Samson Center are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- First priority for the Samson Center is providing space for all students. Consideration is given to the number of students displaced by any special event vs. the number involved in the event.
- Consideration is also given to the time of year and the day requested. The Samson Center is more available for special events when classes are not in session.
- Campus-wide events are generally ones approved for usage of the Samson Center (Commencement reception, etc.).
- Media Room Reservation Guidelines are as follows:
- The Media Room’s primary function is to provide access to foreign language media for students, staff, faculty, alums, and guests of the school for academic purposes.
- The Media Room is open for use Monday through Sunday 8am to 2am.
- The Media Room is available on a first-come, first-served, reservation basis and should be reserved through the Room Reserve procedure described below.
- At any given time, if there is no reservation for the room, the room is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- If the room is reserved, but is not being used after the first 15 minutes of the reservation, the reservation will be void and the room will revert to a first-come, first-served basis.
- If there are any violations, comments, or concerns regarding the use of the Media Room or this policy, please contact the President’s Office.
- All requests for the Holland Center.
- Requests for venues from organizations internal to MIIS. This includes student organization meetings, class seminars, student organization presentations, etc. – basically any room use not related to regular classes.
- All requests for venues from organizations external to MIIS. This includes requests from external organizations that are being made by a member of the MIIS community.
Please be aware that there are limited venues available for food-related events, such as receptions. These rooms include the Upper and Lower Atriums of McCone, the lobby of McGowan, CF 434, and the Holland Center and are reviewed and scheduled on a case-by-case basis. All users of MIIS venues are expected to leave their venue and its equipment in good order, which includes chairs and tables straightened, electronic equipment shut off, and properly disposing of everything one came in with, such as soda and food containers, newspapers, etc. Users are also expected to take extra care that no damage is done to venues or venue furniture or equipment and that the room is ready for classes. Food and beverages are not allowed in most Institute venues. For special events, food and drink must be authorized with your original room reservation request. If you are serving food and drink, please take care in making sure that there are no spills or damage to carpets and furniture. If you do incur damage during normal working hours, please report to Campus Services at 647-6578. During non-working hours, report to Security at 647-4153.
There is a fee for the use of Monterey Institute venues by external organizations, as well as for Media Services support. To have the fee waived for an external organization, there must be a clear partnership with a Monterey Institute organization and clear applicability to our mission. All fee waivers are determined by the President's Office on a case-by-case basis. A waiver for the venue use does not necessarily mean that the Media Services fees will be waived. Please note that after-hours support from Media Services is subject to scheduling availability.
For room reservations handled by the President's Office, the following guidelines apply:
- All requests must be submitted via our online Room Reservations Request Form. This will allow for accurate tracking and documentation of room requests. Any changes to requests must be made by the original requestor, to avoid any confusion.
- For your convenience, you can view the 25Live Webviewer system to see what rooms might be available in advance of requesting them. For questions about the 25Live Webviewer, please refer to our Quick Reference guide.
- Requests should be received a minimum of 2 business days in advance. Most requests will be responded to within 2 business days.
- Requests must include: date, start time, end time, # of participants, purpose, and point of contact. Also include if food and/or beverage (particularly alcohol) is being served.
- Requests for rooms will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Event Logistics Request Form must be submitted at least two weeks in advance. Please designate a point of contact for your room, campus services, and media services requests. Please also review MIIS guidelines on How to "Green" Your Event.
- The point of contact should make any media services arrangements directly with Media Services as soon as possible after reserving the room.
- All student club events must be approved by Ashley Arrocha in Student Affairs before the reservation is made.
- All classes
- All class changes
- All workshops
Classes have priority over any other use of venues. Requests can be e-mailed to the firstname.lastname@example.org e-mail address.
Requests for Fletcher-Jones Instructional Lab for the following purposes:
- Library instruction
- Library conferences and meetings
- Career workshops
- Class viewing of AV materials as arranged by instructor
Reservations for the Fletcher-Jones Instructional Lab can be made by e-mailing email@example.com.
- Requests for the three GSTILE Simul Labs in Casa Fuente and the IIRC Building. These include Simul Lab 1 (CF446), Simul Lab 2 (CF456B), Simul Lab 3 (IIRC Court Lab), and the IIRC Classroom. GSTILE will also make reservations for the MML (CF456A).
- All T&I study groups, which will normally be scheduled in Simul Labs 1, 2, and 3, the IIRC Classroom, and the MML.
Reservations for these rooms are currently handled by Angie Quesenberry. Please contact her via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve these rooms.