In an effort to clarify how all venues at the Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey are scheduled, the following policy is now in effect. This includes all classrooms, the Pacific computer lab, the Irvine Auditorium, the McCone Boardroom, the McCone Atrium areas, the Holland Center, and the Samson Student Center.
The Vice President's Office will schedule the following, via our online room reservation form, located at http://www.miis.edu/events/plan/room-reservation.
- All requests for the McCone Boardroom. Please note that the Boardroom is only available on a very limited basis for reservations and that the furniture configuration cannot be moved.
- All requests for the Pacific computer lab. Use of this lab is limited due to class and student usage, and does not include support services. Off-hour usage of these labs may require an additional support contract. During the academic year, regular hours of the Pacific lab are Monday – Friday 8AM to 8PM, Saturday & Sunday 9AM to 5PM.
- All requests for the Samson Student Center (including the Dining Room, Reading Room, and Patio). Due to heavy usage of the Samson Center, the Dining Room is very rarely shut down for special events and is only done so at the discretion of the Vice President’s Office. Special events in the Reading Room will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The Media Room is available for reserving as a study space. The Vice President’s Office must be informed of any events planned at the Samson Center. At times, small portions of the Samson Center may be reserved for small events.
- All requests for the Samson Center are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- First priority for the Samson Center is providing space for all students. Consideration is given to the number of students displaced by any special event vs. the number involved in the event.
- Consideration is also given to the time of year and the day requested. The Samson Center is more available for special events when classes are not in session.
- Campus-wide events are generally ones approved for usage of the Samson Center Dining Room (Commencement reception, etc.).
- All requests for the Holland Center.
- The Holland Center is for student study and activity space and will remain available for general student usage.
- Event usage will be limited to events primarily sponsored by the Vice President’s Office. Infrequently, other requests for this space will be approved on a case-by-case basis.
- Requests for venues from organizations internal to MIIS. This includes student organization meetings, class seminars, student organization presentations, etc. – basically any room use not related to regular classes.
- All requests for venues from organizations external to MIIS. This includes requests from external organizations that are being made by a member of the MIIS community.
All users of MIIS venues are expected to leave their venue and its equipment in good order, which includes chairs and tables straightened, electronic equipment shut off, and properly disposing of everything one came in with, such as soda and food containers, newspapers, etc. Users are also expected to take extra care that no damage is done to venues or venue furniture or equipment and that the room is ready for classes. Food and beverages are strongly discouraged in most Institute venues and requests for these types of events are reviewed and scheduled on a case-by-case basis. For special events, food and drink must be authorized with your original room reservation request. If you are serving food and drink, please take care in making sure that there are no spills or damage to carpets and furniture. If you do incur damage during normal working hours, please report to Campus Facilities at 647-6578. During non-working hours, report to Security at 647-4153.
There is a fee for the use of Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey venues by external organizations. To have the fee waived for an external organization, there must be a clear partnership with a Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey organization and clear applicability to our mission. All fee waivers are determined by the Vice President's Office on a case-by-case basis. A waiver for the venue use does not necessarily mean that the Media Services fees will be waived. Please note that after-hours support from Media Services is subject to scheduling availability.
For room reservations handled by the Vice President's Office, the following guidelines apply:
- A “one-stop shopping” webpage for events has been created at http://www.miis.edu/events that includes the MIIS events calendar and links to on-line resources and forms.
- All room reservation requests must be submitted through the on-line "Reserve a Room" form at https://forms.miis.edu/events/plan/room-reservation.
- For your convenience, you can view the 25Live Webviewer system to see what rooms might be available in advance of requesting them. Please note that this system is not always accurate and up-to-date. For instructions, please see Appendix A.
- Requests should be received a minimum of 2 business days in advance. Most requests will be responded to within 24 hours.
- Requests for rooms will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Event Logistics Request Forms are available on-line at https://forms.miis.edu/events/plan/logistics and must be submitted at least two weeks, but not more than 2 months in advance. Please note that MIIS guidelines on how to “green” your event are in Appendix B.
- The point of contact should make any Media Services arrangements directly with Media Services as soon as possible after reserving the room.
- All student club events must be approved by Student Services before the reservation is made.
The Records Office will schedule:
- All classes
- All class changes
- All workshops
Classes have priority over any other use of venues. Requests can be e-mailed to the email@example.com address.
The Library will schedule:
Requests for Fletcher-Jones Instructional Lab for the following purposes:
- Library instruction
- Library conferences and meetings
- Career workshops
- Class viewing of AV materials as arranged by instructor
Reservations for the Fletcher-Jones Instructional Lab can be made by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org
The GSTILE's Dean's Assistant will schedule:
- Requests for the three GSTILE Simul Labs in Casa Fuente and the IIRC Building. These include Simul Lab 1 (CF446), Simul Lab 2 (CF456B), Simul Lab 3 (IIRC Court Lab), and the IIRC Classroom. GSTILE will also make reservations for the MML (CF456A) and all T&I interpretation booths.
- All T&I study groups, which will normally be scheduled in Simul Labs 1, 2, and 3, the IIRC Classroom, and the MML.
Reservations for these rooms are currently handled by Angie Quesenberry. Please contact her via e-mail at email@example.com to reserve these rooms.
499 Van Vuren Videoconference Room
The 499 Van Buren Videoconference Room is primarily for classes and events that require videoconference capabilities. All other requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and any exceptions made at the discretion of the Vice President’s Office.