Nonproliferation & Terrorism Studies
Our students gain valuable professional experience and field-specific knowledge through local and international internships.
Professional Development Programs
||Our International Organizations in Nonproliferation program connects students with semester-long internship positions in intergovernmental organizations in the nonproliferation field. The International Professional Service Semester is a professional immersion program where students serve in a broader range of internationally-focused organizations while completing academic coursework.|
||Many students hold research assistantships at our two research centers: the James Martin Center for Nonproliferation Studies (CNS) and the Monterey Terrorism Research and Education Program (MonTREP).|
NPTS Summer 2014 Experiences
- 95% of reporting NPTS students pursued relevant professional development opportunities, including internships, consultancies, and academic programs, during the Summer of 2014.
- Opportunity Source: MIIS Facilitated: 68% / Independent Search: 32%
- Compensation: Among students who completed jobs or internships, 64% of students were paid, 24% were unpaid, and 5% were unknown. Stipends ranged from between $1,000 and $2,000 per month. Hourly wages averaged $19.67 per hour. Federal interns reported salaries averaging $3,210.25 per month.
Here are just a few examples:
- Asia Pacific Center for Security Studies, Teaching Assistant and Researcher, Honolulu, HI
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Master's Intern, Seattle, WA
- Navanti Group, Consultant, Washington, DC
- United Nations Office of Disarmament Affairs (UNODA), Kathmandu, Nepal
- Center for the Study of Terrorism and the Responses to Terrorism (START), University of Maryland, Terrorist Ideology Database, Intern, College Park, MD
- US State Department, Bureau of International Security and Nonproliferation (ISN) Office of Multilateral Nuclear and Security Affairs ISN/MNSA, Foreign Affairs Intern, Washington, DC
Students in the Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies program are regularly awarded some of the most prestigious internships and fellowships in their fields: