International Education Internships
Professional internships and practica give students the opportunity to build on their coursework through completion of projects in real-world settings.
International Education Practicum
Students complete a 4- 6 month practicum in the International Education field. To earn credit, students will be responsible for rigorous academic performance, equivalent in quantity and quality to the requirements for 6 credits of on-campus coursework.
Students will demonstrate their application of theory to practice, and earn credit, through completion of multiple deliverables such as:
- Needs assessment project and professional report
- Program assessment project and professional report
- Organization of co-curricular program such as homestay weekend, friendship program, excursion series, orientation, etc.
- Joint project between host organization and community partner
- Grant-writing or fundraising project
- Market research project and professional report
- Design/redesign of marketing materials (website, brochure, social media, etc.)
- Online professional practice discussion
- Reflective paper/ Self-assessment of learning
Each student will identify deliverables appropriate to her/his practicum position in consultation with the site supervisor and MIIS faculty.
A highlight of the three-semester M.A. degree is the International Educational Management Practicum. With extensive support in identifying and securing practicum positions, students will gain practical experience working with international education organizations in sectors including higher education, youth programs, policy and research organizations, language programs, and non-profit-organizations.
Among the unique opportunities offered by the MIIS International Education Management program is a partnership with Middlebury College Schools Abroad. In this exciting collaboration, MIIS students can assist in running study abroad programs located in:
|Europe||Russia, Italy, Germany, Spain, France|
|Latin America||Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Mexico|
|Middle East||Jordan, Israel|
MIIS students completing practicum assignments at the Middlebury Schools Abroad will take on a range of responsibilities based on the site's needs. Sample projects include coordinating student housing, arranging excursions, facilitating activities to integrate U.S. students with local students, arranging local internships for the undergraduate study abroad students, and institutional research projects.
IEM students may also complete practicums at sites including but not limited to:
- U.S. colleges and universities
- Third party Study Abroad providers
- ESL or language programs
- EducationUSA offices
- Institute of International Education
- Government education agencies
- International education associations
- International education marketing organizations
- International professional training program providers
Students with extended professional experience in the international education field will have the option, with approval of the program coordinator, to complete a thesis project in lieu of practicum.