Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey


Work-study provides work and learning opportunities

Work-study jobs help our students pay their living expenses and provide valuable professional experiences.


The Institute has two work-study programs, Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Institute Work-Study. All students are eligible to apply to on-campus Institute Work-Study positions, while students with the FWS award may apply to on- and off-campus work-study positions.

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program is a type of financial aid that allows students who have been awarded FWS to work part-time, as a paid position, either on- or off-campus. Federal work-study earnings are partially funded by federal monies which are intended to help pay for education expenses such as housing and transportation while in school.

Institute Work-Study

If you are not eligible for federal financial aid or haven't received the FWS award, you can work on campus through Institute Work-Study. As an international student, you may be eligible to work on campus under Institute Work-Study, if you have either an F-1 or a J-1 Visa. No FAFSA is required for participation in the Institute Work-Study program.

Applying for a Work-Study Job

Before applying for any work-study position, please complete the work-study packet with Human Resources to receive your blue authorization card and instructions on how to submit your timesheet.

You can find work-study opportunities on our website. If you are interested in knowing what positions are available, please visit our On-Campus and Off-Campus work-study job postings. Jobs on campus are within administrative and academic departments offering convenient hours and locations. Please remember that if you are looking for an off-campus job position, you must have the Federal Work-Study (FWS) award to be eligible for the position.

Work-Study Pay

For Federal Work-Study students, the maximum amount a student may earn is determined by the total amount listed on the student financial aid award letter with an annual academic year limit of $3,000. For Institute Work-Study, earnings are decided by the hiring supervisor and the amount earned depends on the number of hours a student works and the hourly pay rate. The minimum hourly rate is $9.

Student employment positions are paid on a bi-weekly basis. Work-Study students will receive an ID number and password to log into Banner to record the number of hours worked. Students may pick up their paychecks at the Cashier's Office on payday or request direct deposit with Human Resources.

Work-Study Hours

Students are limited to work 20 hours per week during the academic year. Students may have more than one job, but the total hours for both jobs must not exceed 20 hours per week. During winter (Dec. 14 - 23) and spring break, students are allowed to work up to 37.5 hours a week and if you do not enroll for courses in the J-Term you are also able to work up to 37.5 hours a week. If you are a new student, you cannot begin working until after your first day of class.