In recognition of the international service provided by Omprakash volunteers, alumni are eligible for the Monterey Institute Merit Scholarship, a minimum of $10,000 per year.
The Monterey Institute and Omprakash are partnering to provide scholarships to qualified alumni. Students who demonstrate their commitment to service through Omprakash programs are recognized and valued through this new partnership with the Monterey Institute. Learn more about the degree programs offered by the Monterey Institute.
Omprakash alumni qualify for the scholarship if they meet certain eligibility criteria:
- Omprakash alumni must meet the requirements for admission to Monterey Institute degree programs.
- A minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale is required to be considered for a scholarship.
- Applicants are required to have served on an Omprakash-related project for a minimum of 6 continuous months, as affirmed by a letter of support from Omprakash and the host organization verifying the service.
Students who meet all the requirements will receive a minimum of $5,000 per semester for the duration of their degree program. Students must be enrolled in 12 credits to receive the full $5,000 per semester scholarship (pro-rated scholarships will be given to any student carrying fewer than 12 credits). Any student that takes longer than 5 semesters to complete his/her degree program will be assessed for the scholarship on a case-by-case basis for the additional semester(s). The number of scholarships provided will be limited to 7 candidates per academic year.
Monterey Institute Merit Scholarships are available to Omprakash alumni as a result of a partnership between the Institute and Omprakash. To apply and receive preferential consideration:
- Submit your completed application for admission to a degree program plus all support documents including transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, resume and statement of purpose by the priority scholarship deadline. For Fall semester there are three rounds of scholarship selection: December 1, February 1, and March 1. For Spring semester the priority deadline is October 1. Late applications will be considered for scholarships on a funds-available basis. Apply online by one of our scholarship deadlines.
- Please also submit a separate written statement (100-200 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes the following: Organization where you worked (including location)
Dates of service
Short description of what you did in that position
- Provide a letter of support from Omprakash and the host organization verifying service.
Omprakash Services to Monterey Institute Students
Omprakash will grant all Monterey Institute students access to a membership account within the Omprakash website. Students can browse opportunities to work with Omprakash Partners, can contact Parters directly, and can apply for Volunteer Grants from Omprakash.
All students who register in the Omprakash network and initiate contact with an Omprakash Partner will be assigned a mentor from withing the Omprakash administrative team. Students will be entitled to free phone and email support from their mentor as much as it is necessary. Visit the Omprakash website to learn more about these opportunities and volunteering abroad.