Betty & David Jones Language Scholarships
Offering up to 50 scholarships to attend Middlebury Language Schools, Monterey Summer Intensive Language Program, or English Preparation for Graduate Studies: June – August, 2013.
These scholarships offer students the opportunity to take advantage of the combined language and international study resources of the Monterey Institute and Middlebury Language Schools. To be eligible for the scholarship, candidates must be admitted to a degree program for fall 2013 at the Monterey Institute of International Studies.
With this unusual offer of combined study, the Monterey Institute seeks individuals committed to rigorous language study, master’s-degree training, and professional skill development to address global issues of development, fair trade, international commerce, environmental preservation, nuclear nonproliferation, and other critical issues of our time. Betty and David Jones Language Scholarship recipients will be chosen on the basis of academic credentials, experience, and commitment to building a more peaceful world.
Through this offer, two types of awards will be made:
- Scholarships for tuition, room and board will be awarded for the Middlebury Language Schools program in either Middlebury, Vermont or at Mills College in Oakland, California
- Scholarships for tuition only will be awarded for the Monterey Institute Summer Intensive Language Program (SILP) or the English Preparation for Graduate Students (EPGS) program.
Scholarships are offered only for the following languages and levels:
- Arabic – Beginning or intermediate (Mills College)
- Chinese (Mandarin) – Intermediate (Middlebury)
- French – Intermediate (Mills College and Middlebury)
- Japanese – Intermediate (Mills College)
- Russian – Intermediate (Middlebury)
- Spanish – Beginning or intermediate (Mills College and Middlebury)
Languages of Study at Monterey Institute’s Summer Intensive Language Programs
- Arabic – Beginning or intermediate
- Chinese (Mandarin) – Intermediate
- English – English Preparation for Graduate Studies
- French – Intermediate
- Japanese – Intermediate
- Russian – Intermediate
- Spanish – Beginning or intermediate
Summer language scholarships are offered only for students admitted to one of the following master’s programs for fall 2013:
- International Business (MBA)
- International Policy Studies (MAIPS)
- International Environmental Policy (MAIEP)
- International Education Management (MAIEM)
- Public Administration in International Management (MPA)
- Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies (MANPTS)
- Teaching Foreign Language (MATFL)
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (MATESOL)
- Translation and Interpretation (MATI)
- Translation and Localization Management (MATLM)
- Bachelor of Arts in International Studies (BAIS)
By the time of enrollment at the Monterey Institute in fall 2013, students must demonstrate that they meet the language proficiency requirements for their program of study.
MBA, MAIPS, MAIEP, MAIEM, MPA, MANPTS, BAIS students are required to be at the following levels by the time of enrollment at the Monterey Institute:
- Arabic and Spanish: Ready to begin studies at the second college level, minimum
- Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Japanese, and Russian: Ready to begin studies at the third-year college level.
Teaching Foreign Language students must be at the minimum fourth year college-level in their desired teaching language.
One summer of intensive language training is the equivalent of one full year of college language study during the regular academic year. Students who successfully complete their summer language studies should meet the Monterey Institute entry requirements. Note that before the first semester begins, students must pass a placement test that indicates the student is ready to begin studies at the appropriate level.
Applicants to the Jones Language Scholarship must submit the following in order to be considered for the scholarship: