Betty & David Jones Language Scholarships
Want to learn a new language? Or improve your language skills before beginning your master's degree program?
Summer Language Scholarships: June to August, 2014 at the Monterey Institute
These scholarships offer you the opportunity to take advantage of the combined language and international study resources of the Monterey Institute and Middlebury Language Schools. To qualify for the scholarship, you must be admitted to a degree program for Fall Semester 2014 at the Monterey Institute of International Studies.
With this offer of combined study, we seek individuals committed to rigorous language study, master’s-degree training and professional skill development to address global issues of development, fair trade, international commerce, environmental preservation, nuclear nonproliferation and other critical issues of our time. Betty and David Jones Language Scholarship recipients will be chosen on the basis of academic credentials, experience and commitment to building a more peaceful world.
Through this offer, two types of awards will be made:
- Scholarships for tuition only will be awarded for the Monterey Institute's Summer Intensive Language Program (SILP) or the English Preparation for Graduate Students (EPGS) programs
- A limited number of scholarships for tuition, room and board will be awarded for the Middlebury Language Schools in either Middlebury, Vermont or at Mills College in Oakland, California
- Arabic – Beginning or intermediate
- Chinese (Mandarin) – Intermediate
- English – English Preparation for Graduate Studies
- French – Intermediate
- Japanese – Intermediate
- Russian – Intermediate
- Spanish – Beginning or intermediate
We offer summer language scholarships for students admitted to one of the following master’s programs for Fall Semester 2014:
- Development Policy & Practice
- International Business (MBA)
- International Environmental Policy
- International Education Management
- Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies
- Teaching Foreign Language
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Joint MBA/MA International Environmental Policy
- Joint MBA/MA International Policy Studies
- Joint MPA/MA International Education Management
- Bachelor of Arts in International Studies
By Fall Semester 2014, you must demonstrate that you meet the language proficiency requirements for your degree program at the Monterey Institute. Review your program's language requirements to see if you could benefit from this scholarship opportunity for summer language study.
One summer of intensive language training is equivalent to one year of college language study for Spanish and French and at least one semester of college language study for Arabic, Chinese, Japanese and Russian. Students who successfully complete their summer language studies could meet the Monterey Institute's entry requirements. Please note that before they enroll in our language program at the graduate school, students must pass a placement test indicating they are ready to begin their studies at the appropriate level.
To apply for the Jones Language Scholarship, submit the following items: