The Center for the Blue Economy provides opportunities for Visiting Scholars who are interested in producing original research, in collaboration with CBE faculty and staff, that serves the Center’s mission. The length of stay for a visiting scholar is a minimum of 6 months and a maximum of 12. Visiting scholar positions are not compensated, so the scholar should be funded by external or personal sources, such as a non-governmental organization, government entity, business, or academic institution.
- Eligibility: Ph.D. or equivalent work experience in an ocean, coastal, or marine-related field; fluency in speaking and writing English
- Requirements: Produce a publishable working paper, give at least one public lecture and one research seminar in English, and be available to mentor students
- Applications are judged by quality of education and expertise of the applicant, the relevance of proposed research to the CBE mission and research interests, and letters of recommendation. Applications are accepted September through February annually. We will have a maximum of 3 visiting scholars per annum
- Duration: 6-12 month appointment
- Funding: Outside sources; no funding is provided by CBE
The CBE provides
- Affiliation with the Center for the Blue Economy at the Monterey Institute of International Studies (MIIS)
- Campus Visitor Identification card
- Individual MIIS email account
- MIIS library privileges
- Office space, desk, computer, internet access, and telephone
- Access to information about off-campus housing
The CBE does not provide
- Health insurance (required for J-1 visa holders)
- Visa application or SEVIS fees
To apply, please submit the following materials to email@example.com with attention to Nancy Olsen:
- Completed application form
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Statement of proposed research project, including its relevance to the mission of the Center for the Blue Economy (500-1000 words)
Decisions will be made by March 1 each year, with a start date no earlier than September 1 of the same year.
Upon determination, you will receive a signed letter from the Director of the CBE advising you of the decision. Successful applicants will be paired with a faculty advisor and notified of the dates of appointment. Successful applicants will also be required to submit a TOEFL score or other indicator of language ability, and to complete additional paperwork with our parent institution, Middlebury College.