The MA in Chinese with a focus on Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language is offered through Middlebury College. It includes one year of coursework in the MA Teaching Foreign Language (TFL) program at Monterey.
Middlebury's MA in Teaching Chinese
Students may elect to participate in the "Monterey Option" for this degree and pursue one year of coursework in the Teaching Foreign Language (TFL) program at Monterey.
The Monterey Option
- Summer 1 at Middlebury
- Academic Year at Monterey (Fall/Spring)
- Summer 2 at Middlebury
*At the beginning of each semester, students will consult with their advisor on appropriate courses for their schedule.
- On the application to Middlebury, potential students must indicate their interest in the Monterey Option.
- Upon accepting the student into the Chinese Program at Middlebury, Middlebury will then forward the application to Monterey for an admissions decision.
- The student must be accepted into both programs to participate in this joint program.
Curriculum at Monterey
During the year at Monterey, the students will be enrolled in 18-20 credits of coursework.
*Students on international student visas and Yellow Ribbon veterans will enroll in 24 units, 12 each semester, to meet requirements of their programs of study.
The coursework will typically consist of the following courses:
- Language pedagogy
- Curriculum development
- Language assessment
- Language analysis
- Second language acquisition
Discount/Scholarship at Monterey
Monterey offers participants in this program a 50% per unit tuition discount, which replaces the merit-based scholarship award.
Contact us for more information about the MA at Middlebury College in Teaching Chinese: