Students interested in the Peace Corps can integrate Peace Corps service into their degree. The entry-level threshold for launching a career in development is a master’s plus experience in the field, so Options for Peace Corps Service is ideal for anyone looking to start a career in the highly competitive world of international aid work.
Students have integrated Peace Corps service into MBA, MPA, International Policy and Development, International Environmental Policy, and TESOL degrees. Other programs may be considered with approval from the department dean or program chair.
How It Works
- Spend the first year of your degree program at the Middlebury Institute campus to complete core classes, electives, and second-language requirements.
- Fulfill your Peace Corps service.
- After completing your service, return to the Institute to fulfill course work and capstone projects needed for graduation.
Students who successfully complete their Peace Corps service within the program timeframe and return to the Middlebury Institute are guaranteed a 50 percent tuition scholarship for their final semester.
- Students must receive approval from their department dean.
- Students must apply 9 to 12 months before they plan to leave for service.
- Students must apply directly to the Peace Corps and be accepted for a position related to their degree program.
- Students must complete eight credits of language prior to starting service.
Our Peace Corps Connection
The Middlebury Institute and Peace Corps have partnered for more than 20 years. When the now-retired Peace Corps Master’s International (PCMI) program was offered, the Peace Corps described the Institute as a prolific producer of PCMI students and regularly ranked us among the agency’s top programs. Returned Peace Corps Volunteers (RPCVs) feel at home on our diverse campus, where their Peace Corps experience is highly valued and relevant to our programs of study.
- Prospective students should speak to an enrollment advisor.
- Current students should speak with their career and academic advisor.