Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey

Everything you need to know about the Middlebury-Monterey Integrated Degree Programs: admissions requirements, financial aid, alumni eligibility, and much more! If you can't find the answer here, contact one of our Enrollment Managers.

Which courses do I need to take at Middlebury College?

You will find course maps and more details about required undergraduate coursework by visiting middlebury.edu

How do I apply to the Institute?

Please visit Applying to MIIS for more details about the application process.

Which courses will I take at the Institute?

You will find more details about the graduate curriculum by visiting middlebury.edu

Who should I contact at Middlebury for more information?

Please contact Charlotte Tate, Assistant Director at the Rohatyn Center for International Affairs, for more information about the Middlebury-Monterey Integrated Degree Programs:

Charlotte Tate


Who should I contact at the Institute for more information?

Please contact one of our Enrollment Managers for more information about the Middlebury-Monterey Integrated Degree Programs.

How can I fulfill the "International Experience" requirement?

We recommend that all students have some type of international professional experience before beginning the fifth year of their integrated degree program. This experience could include a semester abroad, internship, or practicum during your time at Middlebury or the summer before you come to Monterey. The Center for Career and Advising Services will help you explore your options.

What are the basic language proficiency requirements for the integrated degree programs?

There are different language proficiency requirements for native English speakers and non-native English speakers. If you are a native English speaker, you must complete two years of undergraduate coursework in one language. However, if you are studying Arabic, you must complete one year of undergraduate coursework for fall entry and one and a half years for spring entry.

During new student orientation, you will demonstrate your language abilities through a written and oral placement test. You must place into a 300-level course for all languages except Arabic. However, students who do not place into a 400-level language course may need more than two semesters to complete the language component of their Master's degree.

Please take a few moments to review the details of our language proficiency requirements.

Are there exceptions to the language proficiency requirements?

Students who have chosen Arabic as their language of study must complete one year of undergraduate coursework for fall entry and one and a half years for spring entry.

Should I take macro- and microeconomics at Middlebury College?

Like all students in the policy programs, you have the option to take macro- and micro-economics as an undergraduate course, enroll in intensive economics courses at the Institute, or test out of the requirement. Learn more about the economics prerequisite.

If I'm an alumnus/a, how do I determine if I qualify for the integrated degree programs?

Admissions decisions for Middlebury alumni will be made on a case-by-case basis. For example, if you are an alumnus/a from five years ago, please review the required undergraduate coursework for the integrated degree programs. You can also send an unofficial transcript to one of the Institute's Enrollment Managers so that we can determine whether or not you meet the requirements to earn a Master's degree in one year.

Is financial aid available from the Institute for my fifth year?

Yes. However, financial aid for graduate programs is different than financial aid for undergraduate programs. In general, graduate students are presumed to be making an investment in their future careers. Therefore, they generally contribute some of their own funds - whether out of pocket or through education loans - toward their degree.

There are four main differences between federal financial aid at the undergraduate and graduate level:

  • At the graduate level, your income only is considered when determining your eligibility for federal aid. You will not need to include your parent’s information on the FAFSA.
  • There are no federal grants for graduate students.
  • There is no expectation of paying your expected family contribution (EFC) out of pocket. You can elect to borrow non-subsidized loans to cover the expected family contribution.
  • The federal loan limits are higher for graduate students.

Learn more about financial aid at the Institute.

    What types of financial aid are available for my fifth year?

    There are two main components financial aid at the Institute: merit scholarships and federal financial aid (Federal Work Study, Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, and the Federal Graduate PLUS Loans) based on financial need.

    If I had financial aid at Middlebury, do I need to reapply to attend the Institute?

    Yes. All applicants who apply to the Institute by one of the priority scholarship deadlines are automatically considered for our merit scholarship. Students eligible for federal financial aid (US citizens, permanent residents, and qualifying non-residents) must apply annually. There is no formal deadline to apply for federal financial aid. However, we encourage you to submit all application materials by March 15 for best consideration for specific types of aid, such as work study, which is awarded on a first come, first serve basis.

    If I'm not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, can I apply for financial aid?

    All students, regardless of their citizenship status, are considered for the The Institute merit scholarship if they successfully apply by the priority scholarship deadlines. Additionally, international students can also apply for a private educational loan if they have a creditworthy US cosigner. If you have an F-1 or J-1 Visa, you can also work on campus up to 20 hours per week to help defray living expenses. Learn more about financial aid for international students.