Earn Academic Credit While Working Full-Time
We offer special programs in which students can earn a semester of academic credit while working full-time with leading environmental organizations. All of these internships help students gain professional experience, make valuable contacts in their field, and often lead directly to job offers.
A fully-funded fellowship with top marine organizations during the summer. Available to Ocean and Coastal Resource Management students.
An intense three-week professional training program, followed by a practicum component which consists of three to nine months of fieldwork with a development organization.
Work as junior staff members for a public policy or social change organization.
In recent years, environmental policy students have interned for a wide variety of local, national, and international organizations. Below you can browse a cross-section of these organizations within three subject areas:
- Ocean & Coastal Resource Management
- Business, Sustainability & Development
- Natural Resource Policy & Management
- General Environmental Policy & Planning
- Center for Ocean Solutions
- Friends of the Sea Otter
- Local Catch
- Monterey Bay Aquarium - Seafood Watch
- National Ocean Economy Program
- Ocean Champions
- The Otter Project
- Save Our Shores
- Surfrider Foundation
- Environmental Defense Fund, Washington D.C.
- Inter-American Development Bank, Washington D.C.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Organization (NOAA) Sanctuaries Program, Silver Spring, MD
- Ecoviva, El Salvador
- International Union for Conservation of Nature, Jordan
- Maersk, Denmark
- National University of Ireland, Republic of Ireland
- Ocean Recovery Alliance, Hong Kong
- OneReef, Palau
- Save the Waves, Indonesia
- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Kenya
- Agriculture and Land-Based Training Association (ALBA)
- Ecoshift Consulting
- Fort Ord Reuse Authority (FORA)
- GroundWork Renewables
- Monterey Business Council – StepUp2Green
- Santa Cruz County Office of Education, Sustainability Intern
- Sustainability Academy
- Bonneville Power Administration, Portland, OR
- California Energy Commission, Sacramento, CA
- Environmental Protection Agency, Sustainable Water Infrastructure, San Francisco, CA
- Global Green, Washington, D.C.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Program, Washington, D.C.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO
- Oregon Natural Desert Association, Climate Program, Bend, OR
- Environmental Protection Agency, Lean and the Environment Initiative, Washington, D.C.
- Sierra Nevada Alliance, South Lake Tahoe, CA
- SunEdison, Belmont, CA
- World Bank, Environmental Economics and Development Policy, Washington, D.C.
- The Becky Fund, Peru
- Choice Humanitarian
- International Institute for Environment and Development, Sustainable Markets Group, United Kingdom
- World Conservation Union (IUCN), Commission on Environmental, Economic and Social Policy, Switzerland
- Conservation International, Centers and Programs, Arlington, Virginia
- Idaho Conservation League, Boise, ID
- National Wildlife Federation, Washington, D.C.
- United States Dept. of State, The Bureau of Oceans, Environment, and Science, Washington, D.C.
- World Resources Institute, Washington D.C.
- WWF, Washington, D.C.
- Action for a Sustainable Development, Haiti
- Alliance for Responsible Mining, Colombia
- Ecodecision, Ecuador
- Fundación Ambiente y Recursos Naturales (FARN), Argentina
- International Peace Park Expeditions, Southeastern Europe
- Roots & Shoots, China
- The Nature Conservancy, Marine Programs, Indonesia
- West Africa Regional Fisheries Program, Sierra Leone
- World Conservation Union (IUCN), Species Trade and Use Unit, United Kingdom
- World Health Organization-Water/Sanitation, India
- Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
- City of Monterey Environmental Programs
- County of Monterey Agricultural Commissioner's Office
- Denise Duffy & Associates
- Monterey Regional Waste Management District
- NASA Office of External Relations, Washington, D.C
- International Council on Clean Transportation (ICCT)
- United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR), Chemicals, Waste, and Environmental Governance, Switzerland
- Water Supply and Sanitation Collaborative Council, Switzerland