Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
What does the term "international education" entail?

A wide variety of MA degrees offered in the U.S. use the term “International Education” or “Comparative and International Education.” These programs typically focus on the social, political, historical, cultural, and economic forces that shape delivery of formal education around the world. We use the term International Education in another context – that is the field of international exchange.

In keeping with the identity of MIIS as a professional graduate school, we intend to prepare professionals with the skills and knowledge to run study abroad programs, provide student services in ESL and intensive language programs, manage international student services offices, develop international professional training programs, and work for government programs and agencies such as Fulbright and Education USA (and the foreign equivalents). Within the research literature and within the profession, this field is referred to as “International Education.”

When searching for a graduate program in International Education, look closely at the titles and descriptions of the courses to understand the program emphasis.