The Monterey Institute and Waseda University in Japan maintain an agreement allowing student exchanges between the two institutions on a very selective basis. Opportunities for higher-level language development and cultural immersion abound!
We are currently seeking applications from current students interested in studying at Waseda University for the September 2013 semester.
The Monterey Institute of International Studies and Waseda University concluded a student exchange agreement as part of a broader academic exchange and cooperation agreement between the two institutions. MIIS sent its first exchange student to Waseda’s Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies (GSAPS) in 2008-2009.
Waseda University is one of the most prestigious private universities in Tokyo. The university offers comprehensive degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as in professional schools, such as the Business School and the Law School. Click here for information on Waseda University’s international exchange programs.
- The Monterey Institute can nominate up to two students to study at Waseda University per year.
- Upon acceptance into the program and before departure, the selected student(s) will have their planned courses approved for credit by their graduate school administrators. Academic credit will be granted after submission of proof of satisfactory completion of the course requirements, i.e., transcript, to MIIS.
- MIIS students will pay tuition to MIIS prior to commencing study at Waseda. All other expenses, including transportation, living expenses, health and accident insurance, visa fee, etc. are the responsibilities of the exchange student.
- Some courses at Waseda will be in English and others will be in Japanese. In addition to MIIS degree-related courses, students may take Japanese language courses at the Center for Japanese Language at Waseda.
- Applicants are reminded of the current MIIS policy allowing students to transfer in up to 25% of their degree program.
- We will accept applications from students in any of the degree programs within the Graduate School of International Policy and Management for study in the Graduate School of Political Science, the Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies, or the Business School at Waseda University.
- Both first-year and second-year students may apply.
Scholarship Application Opportunity
- 2013 JASSO Short-Term Student Exchange Promotion Program Scholarship: The sponsoring organization, JASSO (Japan Student Service Organization), is a quasi-governmental organization and provides scholarships to qualified students who are admitted to a Japanese university for a period of up to one year of study in Japan under a student exchange program, such as the one between MIIS and Waseda. Note that the current JASSO application is not yet published.
- MIIS students who wish to be considered for this scholarship program must submit both an application for admission into Waseda University and an application for the desired scholarship. Waseda University will select candidates the program from among applications nominated by MIIS and other partner institutions of Waseda University and recommend those candidates to JASSO. The nomination by MIIS for a scholarship does not guarantee that the candidate will succeed in obtaining funding. The final scholarship decision will be made by JASSO, not by Waseda University.
- Interested students will download and complete the admission and scholarship application forms on the Waseda website;
- Write a statement of purpose explaining how this opportunity will fit with your academic and professional goals (no more than one page) and how you are uniquely qualified to represent the Monterey Institute at Waseda University;
- Application for admission and for scholarships must be submitted to Jen Holguin in the Center for Advising and Career Services by February 22, 2013;
- Working with Dr. Tsuneo Akaha, a MIIS faculty committee will select the nominee or nominees and submit the nomination and application materials to Waseda University.