The Institute and Waseda University in Japan maintain an agreement allowing student exchanges between the two institutions on a very selective basis. Opportunities for higher-level language development and cultural immersion abound!
The Middlebury Institute of International Studies and Waseda University developed a student exchange agreement as part of a broader academic exchange and cooperation agreement between the two institutions. MIIS sent its first exchange student to Waseda’s Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies (GSAPS) in 2008-2009.
Waseda University is one of the most prestigious private universities in Tokyo. The university offers comprehensive degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, as well as in professional schools. Find information on Waseda University’s international exchange programs.
- The Institute can nominate up to two students to study at Waseda University per year, one per semester.
- Upon acceptance into the program and before departure, the selected student(s) will have their planned courses approved for credit by their graduate school administrators. Academic credit will be granted after submission of proof of satisfactory completion of the course requirements, i.e., transcript, to MIIS.
- MIIS students will pay tuition to MIIS prior to commencing study at Waseda. All other expenses, including transportation, living expenses, health and accident insurance, visa fee, etc. are the responsibilities of the exchange student.
- Some courses at Waseda are held in English and others are held in Japanese (only for advanced speakers of Japanese). In addition to MIIS degree-related courses, students may take Japanese language courses at the Center for Japanese Language at Waseda.
- Applicants are reminded of the current MIIS policy allowing students to transfer up to 25% of the degree program. This limit does apply to this exchange program.
- We will accept applications from students in any of the degree programs within the Graduate School of International Policy and Management.
- Both first-year and second-year students may apply.
- Students pursuing Japanese as their Language of Study at MIIS will receive preference in the nomination process.
Scholarship Application Opportunity
- JASSO Short-Term Student Exchange Promotion Program Scholarship: The sponsoring organization, JASSO (Japan Student Service Organization), is a quasi-governmental organization and provides scholarships to qualified students who are admitted to a Japanese university for a period of up to one year of study in Japan under a student exchange program, such as the one between MIIS and Waseda. There is no requirement to apply to this scholarship separately, and the candidates for this scholarship will be notified separately. This may happen after your arrival in Japan.
- Interested students contact Jen Holguin (email@example.com), the Director of Fellowships, Exchanges and Study Abroad. It would be helpful to sign up for an appointment in Zócalo to discuss this opportunity and ensure that it's the right fit for you;
- Students will be emailed with application procedure information prior to each semester's nomination process.