American University in Cairo
The Monterey Institute and the American University in Cairo (AU Cairo) maintain an agreement allowing student exchanges between the two institutions each semester. This highly competitive program provides a fantastic opportunity for language development and cultural exploration.
The Monterey Institute has hosted several students from American University in Cairo, and, in turn, we've had several students study in Cairo over the past few semesters. This program is intended for students studying the Arabic language.
- You will be able to take an Arabic language class as well as topical course credits (in English) that will count towards your degree program at the Monterey Institute (12 credits total).
- Your tuition is paid to the Monterey Institute. AU Cairo will assist with finding suitable accommodation, while you will be responsible for airfare, lodging, and food.
- Fall semester begins September 2nd, 2013 and orientation begins on August 24th, 2013.
Arabic Language Courses
There are two departments in which students can enroll in Arabic language courses at AU Cairo:
- Arabic Language Department (ALNG) Language courses are offered through AU Cairo as part of their regular undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Monterey Institute students can enroll in these courses and transfer the credit toward their Institute degree. Students may take as many Arabic courses as they like in ALNG in combination with business and/or policy courses, up to the 12 credit limit.
- Arabic Language Institute (ALI) This intensive language program requires full-time enrollment in Arabic only. It does not allow for flexibility to enroll in other courses such as business or policy. If you are interested in this option, you will need to meet with your advisor to confirm that this will work with your degree requirements.
- Write a statement of purpose explaining how this opportunity will fit with your academic and professional goals (no more than one page) and how you are uniquely qualified to represent the Monterey Institute at AU Cairo.
- Provide one letter of recommendation addressing your personal, professional, and/or academic ability to study in Cairo for the semester.
- Provide a copy of an unofficial transcript (you will need at least a 3.5 GPA to be considered). First semester students should submit an unofficial copy of their undergraduate transcripts, which can be obtained through the Records Office. Official transcripts from all institutions will be required before you start classes at AUC.
- Completely the AUC Graduate (non-degree) or ALI application form. Please fill out the PDF forms rather than the online form. All forms can be found here.
- Provide a list of courses you're interested in taking, including alternates. List five to six courses. (Not needed from ALI applicants).
Submit this information to Jen Holguin in the Center for Advising & Career Services by the due date May 10th, 2013 at 5PM. This is a firm deadline due to application and visa processing time required by the host institution.
We will only be able to select a limited number of students, so please make sure this is something you are serious about pursuing. If more qualified students apply than we are able to accommodate, a campus committee will review the applications and recommend students for nomination.
Additional application materials will be required of students nominated to participate in the program.
Please note that this program may be canceled if warranted by the political situation in the country. While we do not foresee this happening, if you are accepted to this program, we strongly recommend that you also register for courses here at the Institute in the event that the situation changes in the next few months.