Russian is critical for the fields of security, politics, economics, global energy policy and nuclear nonproliferation. It is the language of Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Solzhenitsyn, and Chekov, conveying profound historical, artistic, and intellectual insights of special significance now in the post-Soviet era.
Our summer Russian program takes on the challenge of mastering the language by rooting active speaking, reading, writing, and listening skills in formal knowledge, aided by grammar study, and vocabulary-building. At the same time, the Fluency Component uses topics of intrinsic interest to students and real-world materials such as YouTube videos, Russian pop music lyrics, and animation to stimulate broad-ranging communicative activities.
The goal is to put students confidently on the path to Russian language fluency and to growing appreciation for one of the world’s great cultures—from “The Battleship Potemkin” to the Sochi Olympics. Мы приглашаем вас открыть мир русского языка с нами!
- Eight weeks of classes from June 16 to August 8, 2014
- 21.5 hours of in-class instruction per week
- Elementary, intermediate, and advanced sections available depending on enrollment
- Two components for each level: a Core Component that focuses on structure and vocabulary, and a Fluency Component that is devoted to real-world speaking, listening, reading, and writing
- Free tutoring to support classroom learning
- Conversation partner program, which offers a chance to interact with native-speakers from the Institute’s graduate programs
- Co-curricular activities designed to enhance formal study
- Instructors with native-level fluency, advanced teaching degrees and years of experience
- Career advising to support students’ career paths related to the Russian-speaking world