Every year, more and more people are studying Mandarin around the world. Together with the rising influence of the People’s Republic and the fact that there are more native-speakers of Chinese than any other language in the world, the reasons for learning Mandarin abound, now more than ever.
The Summer Intensive Language Program promotes Chinese language learning in a rich cultural context. While linguistic elements—from the four tones of spoken Chinese to written characters—are fundamental, learning about Chinese culture, history, and social etiquette embedded in the language are integral to every course. The curriculum systematically prepares students to develop language and cultural competencies through highly-structured, interactive classroom instruction.
At the heart of the program are student goals, ranging from work on issues of global importance, to studying the art of the Sung and opening a business in Beijing. Whatever your goal, the Summer Intensive Chinese Program can put you on the road to realizing it.
Chinese Program Highlights
- Eight weeks of classes
- 21.5 hours of in-class instruction per week
- Elementary, intermediate, and advanced sections available depending on enrollment
- Two components for each level: a Core Component that focuses on structure and vocabulary, and a Fluency Component that is devoted to real-world speaking, listening, reading, and writing
- Free tutoring to support classroom learning
- Conversation partner program, which offers a chance to interact with native-speakers from the Institute’s graduate programs
- Co-curricular activities designed to enhance formal study
- Instructors with native-level fluency, advanced teaching degrees and years of experience
- Career advising to support students’ Chinese-related career paths