Frequently Asked Questions

All the answers you'll need to know for the Fulbright English for Graduate Studies Program

ESL classrooms and offices are located in an historic Victorian house.
On what date should I arrive in Monterey?

Please schedule your flight to arrive on Friday, July 12th, 2013.

On what date can I depart from Monterey to go to my host institution?

You can depart from Monterey on Friday, August 09, 2013.

At which airport should I arrive?

All grantees should plan to fly into Monterey Peninsula Airport (airport code MRY). It is a short drive to Monterey, and enables you to be easily transported to your hotel.

How do I arrange transportation from the airport?

Inform the Fulbright Program Coordinator, Courtney Pahl, of your arrival date and time by emailing In your Terms of Appointment, it is indicated that you are required to inform the Coordinator of your flight plans, including departure date and time, arrival date and time, airline and flight number(s), at least 10 days prior to your arrival in the United States. We will arrange your transportation from the Monterey Peninsula Airport (MRY) to the hotel and give you more details about airport pickup closer to your arrival date.

Where will I live during my stay in Monterey?

You will stay in lodge-style hotel rooms in Pacific Grove, which is only a short bus ride (or bike ride) from the Monterey Institute and walking distance from downtown Pacific Grove and the beach! Each room has two double beds and there will be two people per room (everyone will have their own bed). Each room is equipped with a refrigerator, microwave, and wireless internet. There is an outdoor pool and spa. The hotel offers complimentary (free) breakfast everyday and a complimentary (free) BBQ every evening. You are also welcome to dine at any number of restaurants and cafes in downtown Pacific Grove or in Monterey. For more information about the hotel you will be staying in, go to: You will be staying in "Lodge Double Double" rooms. Please do NOT contact the hotel directly. If you have questions about your accommodations, please contact Courtney, your program coordinator at, thanks!

What kind of city is Monterey?

Monterey is a small town on the Central Coast of California, about 120 miles (190 kms) south of San Francisco.
•  There are about 75,000 people on the Monterey Peninsula.

•  This area is famous for its beautiful scenery and rich history.

•  For more information on Monterey, click on the binoculars icon on the right side of the page.

Do I have health insurance coverage while I'm in Monterey?

Yes, the health insurance coverage you receive from IIE applies to your stay in Monterey. When you arrive at your host institution, you will receive a copy of your health insurance policy. Please see page 14 of your Foreign Fellows Handbook for more information about accident and sickness benefits.

Do I need to apply for a social security number while I study in Monterey?

No, you do not need to apply for a social security number while you are in Monterey. On pages 27-28 of your Fulbright Foreign Fellows Handbook, detailed information is provided about when to apply for a social security number.

Do I need to set up a bank account during my stay in Monterey?

No, you do not need to set up a bank account during your stay in Monterey. You will only be in Monterey a short period of time, and banks are different all over the United States. It is best to wait until you arrive at your host institution to set up a bank account.

Do I need to get a cell phone during my stay in Monterey?

We do not recommend purchasing a cell phone during your stay in Monterey. Area codes and cell phone plans differ around the U.S. It is best to wait until you arrive at your host institution to set up a cell phone account. For more detailed information about the telephone system in the United States, please look at pages 61-63 of your Foreign Fellows Handbook.

How do I pay for food when I am in Monterey?

When you arrive at the Monterey Institute, you will receive a check that covers the cost of food and incidentals during your stay in Monterey. We will help you cash the check at a local bank.

Do I need to pay for books for my program?

No, you do not need to pay for books for the Fulbright Pre-academic Program. The cost of books is covered by IIE.

What happens if I lose or forget my Fulbright Foreign Fellows Handbook?

You can find an electronic version of the handbook at this link