Find answers to your questions about studying English in Monterey.
What will I study as an ESL student?
- Full-time students attend English classes 21 hours each week.
- There are three core classes in Oral Communication, Reading & Vocabulary, and Writing & Grammar.
- Beginning-level students take a content course such as Intercultural Communication, Career Exploration, American Culture & Politics, or Media & Digital Literacy.
- Intermediate and advanced students may choose between a course in TOEFL iBT Preparation or a content course such as Intercultural Communication, Career Exploration, American Culture & Politics, or Media & Digital Literacy.
What is the Intensive English Program schedule?
- There are four study sessions each year in January, April, June and September. For specific details, please view our program dates.
- Full time students have 21 hours of class per week. Please visit Course Schedule to view the Monday through Friday class schedule.
- Many students attend more than one session, and some students stay up to one year.
What is the cost?
- The tuition for an 8-week session is $3,350.00 and for a 10-week session is $4,175.00.
- All students are required to have health insurance. You must show proof of insurance when you register or buy the school insurance. For updated insurance pricing information, please visit the Tuition & Fees page.
- Housing, food and other personal expenses are estimated on the Tuition & Fees page. Housing is not included in the tuition.
- Click here for a detailed list of program and living expenses.
Will you help me get a visa?
- Yes! Most students will require a student (F-1) visa.
- When we receive your application, $50.00 application fee, and $150.00 tuition deposit, we will prepare an I-20 and a letter of admission for you. You will also need to pay the I-901 fee of $200 to the Department of Homeland Security prior to your interview at the American embassy or consulate nearest you. With these documents, you can apply to the embassy or consulate for a visa.
- We will give you more detailed information on the visa application process after you apply.
How do I apply?
- You can complete the Intensive English Programs application online.
- Or download a paper application and send it to our office.
Language & Professional Programs
Monterey Institute of International Studies
460 Pierce Street
Monterey, CA 93940-2658 USA
Do I need to take a test to enter the Intensive English Program?
- No entrance exam is required for the Intensive English Program. Students take placement tests when they arrive to determine which classes will be most appropriate for them.
- The TOEFL iBT is offered on a regular basis for an additional fee.
Where will I live? What housing is available?
On-campus housing is not offered at the Monterey Institute. Please take a look at the Housing in Monterey Reference Guide to familiarize yourself with housing options in Monterey.
- Our Student Services office can assist you with your housing search.For more information on local housing, visit the Student Services' housing page.
- Most students find an apartment on their own or to share and take care of their own cooking and cleaning.
- Some students stay with a host family and share American daily life and customs.
- If you need a temporary place to stay for the first few days, please visit: go.miis.edu/lodging
What kind of city is Monterey?
- Monterey is a small town on the Central Coast of California, about 190 kilometers south of San Francisco.
- There are about 75,000 people on the Monterey Peninsula.
- This area is famous for its beautiful scenery and rich history, and it is very popular with tourists.
- For more information on Monterey, go to Life in Monterey.
What kind of school is the Monterey Institute?
- Most students at the school are graduate students. About 800 students study here for international professional careers. Other students study language only.
- The graduate students and language students are preparing for professions that require high language skills and experience with other cultures.
- About 60% of the students come from the United States, and 40% are from 70 different countries.
- The small size and international student body make this school a very special place to study.
Can I get conditional admission to an undergraduate or graduate school?
The IESL program has partnerships with three local institutions which allow you to apply for their degree programs without a TOEFL score. These institutions are the Monterey Peninsula College (MPC), California State University Monterey Bay (CSUMB), and the Los Angeles Film School.
For CSUMB and The L.A. Film School:
- Students can apply and be granted conditional admission, which means they meet all admissions requirements except the English proficiency requirement.
- Instead of submitting a new TOEFL score, a student can meet the English proficiency requirement by successfully completing level 5 in core courses, and showing a grade point average of ‘B’ or higher throughout the program.
- Students can apply and be granted conditionall admission, which means they meet all admissions requirements except the English proficiency requirement.
- Instead of submitting a new TOEFL score, a student can meet the English proficiency requirement by successfully completing level 4 in core courses, and showing a ‘B’ grade point average.
If you are interested in being considered for a graduate degree program at the Monterey Institute, please contact us for further details and information about the possibility of conditional admission.
Can my child/teenager participate in the Intensive ESL program?
Applications from applicants under the age of 18 will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Participants in Language & Professional Programs at MIIS have to be at least 16 years of age by the start of the program. Participants under the age of 18 must provide proof that they are in custody of a relative or legal guardian living in the local area. Under-age participants are also required to submit a teacher evaluation attesting to their fitness for intensive language study. Please contact email@example.com to discuss your specific case.