What language skills does a 400-level course entail?
When students start a 400-level course, they should be able to:
- Converse at an advanced level with ease and confidence when dealing with most tasks and social situations.
- Successfully handle complicated tasks and social situations, even though some lack of vocabulary or special terminology is observed.
- Consistently sustain understanding of discussion topics.
- Read written texts with about 80% accuracy in understanding, with consistency and speed.
- Write memos, email, letters, and academic papers.
- Have some public speaking skills, which will be fine-tuned while studying at this level.
- Be aware of social protocols and proper register.
- Function in a variety of social and professional situations.
- Understand the current and historical issues of a specific country or region of society.
- Understand politics, business and international affairs of a specific country or region of society.
- Understand their specific field of study and discuss it in the target language.