When students start a 300-level course, they should be able to:
- Converse with ease and confidence when dealing with most routine tasks and social situations.
- Successfully handle uncomplicated tasks and social situations requiring an exchange of basic information.
- Sustain understanding over longer stretches of time.
- Read simple connected texts dealing with basic personal and social needs, consistently and with full understanding.
- Extract main ideas and information from texts.
- Take notes in detail on familiar topics.
- Respond in writing to personal questions.
- Write simple letters, brief synopses and summaries of biographical data, work and school experience.
- Show emerging ability to describe and narrate in paragraphs.