March 26, 2013 - 12:00am
On Saturday, April 13 the Monterey Institute will again host TEDxMonterey, offering a full-day schedule of exhilarating, thought-provoking and inspiring talks.
TEDxMonterey returns to the Monterey Institute on Saturday, April 13 with full-day schedule of exhilarating, thought-provoking and inspiring talks as well as a host of activities designed to invigorate all senses during the breaks. From 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Irvine Auditorium (499 Pierce Street in Monterey), a series of speakers and performers will offer insights around the central theme of “leading out,” examining what it means to live and learn in an emerging world defined by accelerating change, interdependence, complexity, uncertainty and interconnection – as individuals and as a community.
The independently organized event, licensed by TED, takes its format—which features notable speakers spotlighting “ideas worth spreading” in four-to-18-minute segments—from the internationally renowned TED conference (Technology Entertainment Design).
The lineup of speakers for TEDxMonterey 2013: Leading Out includes:
- Brian Bajari, crisis minister and spiritual director with homeless/outdoor living populations and internationally in refugee camps
- Kevin Brookhauser, founder of grmr.me, innovative teacher of English and history at York School
- Larry Crowder, Judy Crowder and Sean Crowder – scientist, author and artist – a family devoted to saving our oceans
- Ailis Dooner, sophomore at Carmel High, innovative cancer researcher
- Dornith Doherty, photographer and biodiversity advocate, -archiving Eden through her project capturing the world’s seed vaults on film.
- Kirk Lombard, sea forager, musician and bon vivant
- Maureen Fura, documentarian “Dark Side of the Full Moon,” unveiling the hidden world of pregnancy and postpartum depression
- Jon Isham, Middlebury professor and enabler of social movements
- Nükhet Kardam, MIIS professor and explorer of history and self
- Fariba Nawa, journalist and author of Opium Nation
- Charles Ruegger, MIIS student and entrepreneur working on cheap and innovative ways to provide clean drinking water to communities in need
- Marc Shargel, undersea photographer and Central Coast historian
- Scott Snibbe, media artist, filmmaker and entrepreneur who has collaborated with other artists such as Bjork and James Cameron
- Belle Yang, painter, author and explorer
- Qianxi Xiao, Monterey Institute student making the most of every moment
Additional information about the event can be found at the TEDxMonterey website at www.tedxmonterey.org. Please note that a limited number of tickets are available, and no tickets will be sold at the door.
Continuing a practice from previous years, all talks at TEDxMonterey 2013 will be interpreted in real time into five different languages, with live-streamed video and interpretation available to a worldwide audience online at www.tedxmonterey.org/livestream.